Arizona

Joel David

Just born
Reaction score
O.K. I did a search and there is no Arizona thread in here so I'm starting one, even though I don't as of yet have a heard or any experience raising livestock. I know we have special needs here in central Arizona and the zonie thread at Backyardchickens .com is one of the busiest threads on the forum and one of the most helpful for people living in the basin under the glowing ball of flame.

Joel in Mesa, AZ

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think there are some folks from Arizona on here.

I think it would be a great place to raise goats. We've had wayyyy to much rain here in Oklahoma this year.

Don't I sound like an ingrate??

Welcome to BYH, such great and knowledgeble people on this website.

P.S. I don't know what a "zonie" was.

DonnaBelle

Joel David

Just born
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
I think there are some folks from Arizona on here.

I think it would be a great place to raise goats. We've had wayyyy to much rain here in Oklahoma this year.

Don't I sound like an ingrate??

Welcome to BYH, such great and knowledgeble people on this website.

P.S. I don't know what a "zonie" was.

DonnaBelle
My wife wants to have goats, I'm thinking pigs and a cow. And we had a lot of rain for here this year too.

A Zonie is like an Okie just further south and west.;)

Dakoda

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Desert Hills. New to chickens, but have had horses, llamas and goats for years. Want a capybara, but better half put his foot down at that. :)

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Interesting about it being a location thing, because here in the Midwest a Zony is a pony, zebra cross. I thought to find a discussion on small equines under this title!

mydog8it

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new here too and don't have a herd yet. We're thinking about a miniature jersey cow or maybe a couple of babydoll sheep. We needs someone that will keep the lawn trimmed while leaving the trees and shrubs alone.

Dakoda - you have to check out http://gianthamster.com I've wanted a capybara, too, ever since I saw this! Same issue with the husband...

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome Zonies!

I currently reside in Kentucky but I was born and raised South of Phoenix in Ahwatukee. Of course it was a lot more rural back then. When I lived there, there was NOTHING south of Warner Rd. My aunt has a horse farm in Glendale and I grew up working with her horses, chickens, goats and cows.

I have a goat farm in Kentucky now.

mydog8it

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Welcome Zonies!

I currently reside in Kentucky but I was born and raised South of Phoenix in Ahwatukee. Of course it was a lot more rural back then. When I lived there, there was NOTHING south of Warner Rd. My aunt has a horse farm in Glendale and I grew up working with her horses, chickens, goats and cows.

Hi jodief- Nice to meet you. I grew up right around that area, too. We lived off of Chandler Blvd and it was considered the middle of nowhere down south. It's our far north end of town now :)

What kind of goats do you raise?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
mydog8it said:
jodief100 said:
Welcome Zonies!

Hi jodief- Nice to meet you. I grew up right around that area, too. We lived off of Chandler Blvd and it was considered the middle of nowhere down south. It's our far north end of town now :)

What kind of goats do you raise?
When my folks moved out there from Tempe when I was (4), Chandler Blvd was Williams Field Road. It was until I was in middle school. My dad worked at Williams field and price roads and there was nothing there but the shop he worked in. He used to drop me at school on Rural rd on his way to work. We were on the outside of the Warner/Elliot Loop and that was waaaaaay out there back then. Now there are houses miles past that. Entire subdivisions where we used to ride our dirt bikes.

I have a market meat herd consisting of percentage boer and kiko goats. We are slowly growing and learning a lot as we go.

Latest posts