Arthritis Question

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a rescued Alpine named Debbie. She came to us with horrible mastitis and also with arthritis. She was said to be at least 9 years old. We are treating her mastitis but her arthritis has proven to be a tad bit more difficult. She went out with the herd but I pulled her back into isolation because her arthritis was really flaring up and she was having a hard time standing.

I have been giving a few cc's of Dex for the last few days and she is doing better but, I would like to wean her off daily injections if totally possible. Its very stressful for both of us.

So my question is does anyone have any suggestions on either something I can feed through or maybe even put into the water that is safe for goats but can help with Arthritis?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Is it CAE? If so you might rethink running her with your other animals as there is some evidence that it can be spread through a herd.

With horses, I've had great results with BL Solution as a long term treatment. I see nothing in the ingredients that would be harmful to a goat. It is natural and will not cause stomach ulcers like NSAIDS.

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thanks for that... I think I'm going to have her tested just to be safe... she started treatment for mastitis about 4 weeks ago an although they have gone down they still dont look normal, which is a sign of CAE... we'll see what happens....

Thanks for the advice, I will look into Bl Solution!:D