Asking for ideas on how to "manage" coyotes

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw the coyote at about 11 AM this morning. He was about 100' from me, casually looking at my chickens on the other side of the fence. I didn't have my gun so he is still alive and well, darn it. I was hoping he would try to breech the fence but he didn't. I was really hoping he would get over or under it as that would have given me a chance to get the gun. He finally realized that he was being watched and casually turned and walked away, no sign of fear at all. It was a very pretty coyote, well fed....I wonder where it has been eating so well? :somad

After he left I found my kitty and brought her inside. She had been hiding under a trailer, about 50' away from the 'yote.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babs, with a bold coyote like that, you ought to be packing when you go outside. He isn't afraid of you so you could get close enough to shoot him.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I do need to take my gun out with me. I was literally 15' from my house, the last thing I expected to see on a nice sunny morning was a coyote. I knew he had been stealing chickens in the day time, but I was thinking more like dawn, not 11 AM. I will have my eyes open for him to be in the same area around the same time, I think that they are creatures of habit.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would be mean to the chicken, but maybe you could put one in a cage, stake it down, and use for coyote lure? Or get liver, heart or other meat, let it "age" a few days and use it for lure?

Padre23

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You have 4 LGD's but a coyote is still giving you problems?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
You have 4 LGD's but a coyote is still giving you problems?
They are smart creatures and only getting gutsier but when the dogs are in the field with the goats he has a prime opportunity for a snack on the chickens. Just because you have LGD's doesn't make it fool proof but it sure makes your problem less. Do you have LGD's and livestock that they protect? If so and they are not in the same pasture as the dogs it sure makes it hard for them to protect, doesn't it?

Padre23

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are smart creatures and only getting gutsier but when the dogs are in the field with the goats he has a prime opportunity for a snack on the chickens. Just because you have LGD's doesn't make it fool proof but it sure makes your problem less. Do you have LGD's and livestock that they protect? If so and they are not in the same pasture as the dogs it sure makes it hard for them to protect, doesn't it?

Then it would seem appropriate to leave at least 1 of those LGD's with the chickens. And yes, I'm quite familiar with how gutsy coyotes can be...I've dealt with them quite a bit where I live.