Asking for ideas on how to "manage" coyotes

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do think this is an ideology,
Most practices, good and bad.. are.
And I've seen but very few yet that isn't flawed in one way or another.
Man lived in harmony with nature only up until the time we ceased being gatherers of nuts and berries and moved up to hunter gatherers. Once we domesticated animals, we decided it prudent to go to great lengths to build infrastructure (fences) to keep those animals that 'belong here"..out!

Rezchamp

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I strongly believe that (the one entity many "North American" people call)God is a tad smarter than us egocentric humans. What he/she/it/evolution put in place for us is being destroyed by none other than, you guessed it, us.
I was 6 when I presented my grandmother with 3 blackbirds I had shot with a pump action air powered .177 pelet rifle. She later presented them to me on a plate. When I looked at them with my "city boy" "eeewww!" attitude she smiled so very sweet and said gently in slightly Scot/Dane accent,"You've a good eye. Kill nothing for nothing. Now eat. You've earned it." Since then I've "killed" 1000's of Rabbit, 1000's each of all kinds of Fish, Duck and Goose, Drummers, Sharpies and Sprucies(partridge), hundreds each of Beaver, Muskrat, Whitetail, Elk, a few each Moose and Caribou. And yes, them 3 RedWinged Blackbirds taught me respect for life....and yes the way my Nana cooked them actually was delish.
I harvest many forms of wild and domestic flora and fauna for my consumption. I thank "God" everyday for my bounty.
I also eat bacon, ground beef and fried chicken that are products of "intensive farming techniques. I just about forgot, I eat corn, peas, carrots, dill, beets, etc from my garden as well as eggs and meat from my chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and pigeons and milk and meat from my goats.
If that's an animal rights activist then I suppose I'm an animal rights activist.
And yes thank you for noticing that I am doing a lot to live in a more harmonious and sensitive manner regarding "God's" creation/evolution.

In my book, PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since then I've "killed" 1000's of Rabbit, 1000's each of all kinds of Fish, Duck and Goose, Drummers, Sharpies and Sprucies(partridge), hundreds each of Beaver,
Wanna come down and rid my place of beaver?
They're causing me all kinds of problems.
I'll provide room & board, you can keep the nasty things for 'whatever', & I'll even supply the connibears and feed ya 3x a day.

Rezchamp

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SBC,

Yes, it is an ideology, a terribly twisted and perverse ideology in the sense that it is systematic body of terribly wrong, twisted and perverted concepts especially about human life and culture.

I too subscribe to the truth you have stated because your words are based upon eternal truths and principles and not upon man made delusions: we were given dominion over the animals- They are not our equals. We should however steward that what is entrusted to us. Meaning caring for all that was created and given to us to have dominion over. We very much belong here, in the mountains, by the sea, on the prairiesabove who, etc.

Your words could not be better stated. Thank you for sharing.

Go into the deep wilderness young man. Take not but your loincloth and your wit. Let us then see who is above who. Our egocentric words mean precious little to a mother moose, mother elk, mother grizzly protecting her young. Our egocentric thought processes mean precious little to rain, snow and blazing heat. Our egocentric ideologies do not get interpreted into Beaver, Goose or Fish. Our egocentric actions are not well respected by a bull moose challenging all to his arena.
An old Scot once told me,"the true Hunter is the one that go to the deer in the field and feed him from his hand."
Since I didn't ask him to clarify the jist of his words, I can only guess through my experiences since, he was making referance to respect.
All said I fully agree our ego is well defended with a gun, knife, arrow, knife or spear.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't hunt. But I have nothing against those that do IF they hunt for food. I don't believe in trophy hunting, but I'm not going to get all uppity about it. It is my opinion, that's all it is...an opinion...mine. That being said I'll darn well put a bullet in any predator that goes after my goats or chickens (except bird of prey) and I'll do the same for vermin that are causing me grief, being it undermining a building or stealing my garden produce and I won't feel a bit sad about it. Sorry, but my goat, dog, or cat comes before the neighborhood coyote and we aren't going to coexistent and they won't play by the rules. My garden comes before Jack Bunny or Missy Mouse, and my bees come before any skunk or bear or racoon...those are my rules on my land. Like or leave one way or another. I work too hard for what I raise.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
predators have no respect for fences. They're just an obstacle that is either impossible or more trouble than it's worth to get thru, over, around, or under.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Greybeard,

Thanks for sharing some facts that can be clearly understood and utilized.

I am not even gonna waste my breath or exercise my fingers to type or answer or reply anymore to the fruitcakes...for it would totally in vain.

Dang, what's gonna slither out of the woodwork next?

Latest posts