assisting a difficult delivery

fireweed

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name used to be freerangefreaks but I have had problems for a few weeks with my computer and haven't been able to post so I just started fresh.

Anyway, to get to the topic, my boerX doe was a couple of days over due and finally went into labour. The first kid was large but with a little help she managed to deliver a beautiful doeling. The second nose appeared and after about three sets of contractions I still could only see a nose so I felt for hoofs and nothing was there. I ran up to the house to get my vet book (I have no practical experience) and it said that this presentaion with the front hooves curled back required me to gentle push the kids head back just far enough to straighten out the feet. So that's what I did and the baby popped right out. Everything seemed fine for a couple of hours but the doe never passed the placenta. Some membranes were hanging so I left her like that until the next day (my book said up to 24 hours). Still after 24 hours it had not all been passed. Her temp went up and I did not know how to deal with metritis so I rushed her to the vet.

I know that assisting in the birth introduced bacteria and resulted in the infection so I'd like to avoid that in the future. How do you know when the doe needs help. Maybe some of you more experienced owners could go over problem presentations for us. What is you precautionary course of action when you have to assist?

Here are some pictures for you
anewborngoat.jpg

apairofnewborns.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kittylove.gif

Did you scrub before you assisted? I have cattle but, with that presentation we would have had to assist too. Calves are suppose to come front feet first and then the nose also. I would have scrubbed up and then assisted.

fireweed

Just born
Reaction score
I scrubbed really good 'cause I knew I didn't have any gloves. I even cut my nails down to the quick.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Any time you assist a birth, it's a good idea to give the doe a course of antibiotics beginning as soon as you're done.

CONGRATS! You did a great job delivering those kids!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Do you ever need to do a betadine flush for goats? Sometimes we use 2cc of betadine in a bottle of sterile saline solution to flush out alpacas after going in with a dystocia along with the antibiotics.

Also, what antibiotic would you use? Would Excede (4 day long acting Naxcel product) work?

fireweed

Just born
Reaction score
All I can tell you is what my vet did...

My doe had a uterine flush with just a bag of IV solution (not sure what exact solution) then she was perscribed three shots of oxytocin each 12 hours apart, also Anafen for two days (for inflamation) and also a 6 day course of antibiotic which was Excenel.

My goat friend gives oxytetracycline but my vet said that penicillin would be a better choice and even better than that would be the excenel. She explained that some drugs get into the lining of the uterus better. But, I always thought you choose an antibiotic dependent on what bacteria you are dealing with like gram-positive bacteria for Excenel. (I like my vet but sometimes I think she resents owners docotring their own animals).

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I generally use oxytet, too. And yes, for flushes I use a very dilute betadine and saline solution. I've only ever had to flush one doe though...generally the antibiotics do the trick and teat stimulation (milking/nursing) helps with oxytocin production which helps that uterus contract down. For inflamation I prefer Banamine.

Sounds like you've got a great vet there! LOL Most don't condone us treating our own animals :p

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
just for future reference ... check out my webpage in maybe 2 - 3 days time, there is a small ruminant care section there, and one of the articles is all about assisting difficult births, how to decide when assistance is needed, how to do it, after care etc. My small ruminant care page is down at the moment (everything else is going) due to a bit of a problem I've had with my 'puter, but the articles should be up in a few days time.

http://pacqio.weebly.com/index.html

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The Excenel is a more broad spectrum antibiotic according to my vet when you want to treat something fast and don't have the time to do a culture. Excenel is part of the Naxcel line. Naxcel is only good for 7 days once it is mixed. Then they came out with the Excenel that doesn't even have to be refrigerated which is great . Now they have Excede which you only have to give once every 4 days.

I'm lucky, my vet actually prefers if we try some things first before calling her. Naturally I don't hesitate to call if I know it is beyond my capabilities.

Latest posts