assorted goat questions - and pics ;)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You don’t need to weigh him on a scale...this website explains how to measure them and calculate it. If you don’t have a soft tape measure...I use a piece of ribbon for each length then measure with regular tape measure.https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/life-out-here/the-barn/animal-medication-for-goats/how-to-calculate-sheep-or-goat-weight

i don’t think I’d use a space heater, as it could easily get knocked over. I’d use a heat lamp..,ceramic bulb. That’s what I have. I’m glad you out Doby in with them. I’m sure she’s making plenty of milk...just one kid. As for treating lice...make sure you throughly clean out the bedding! I spray my barn with permethrin...it at TS...then do the bedding again. Don’t forget, the shot will need given again in ten days. I’ve heard mixed reviews on DE. I used it. Don’t have a clue if it helped...but...it made my goats cough, my chickens cough...I wore a mask..you have to, but I still hacked!!
Your goat will not be able to fight off a coyote. We have them in my fields constantly. We shoot at them. I keep my goats locked up overnight. Especially in the winter.

When you give shots, pull up the scruff on the back of the neck...below shoulder blades. Slide the needle in at an angle...then rub. It nice after you are done. Trust me..it’s harder on you, than it is on them! You can do this!! :)

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You don’t need to weigh him on a scale...this website explains how to measure them and calculate it. If you don’t have a soft tape measure...I use a piece of ribbon for each length then measure with regular tape measure.https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/life-out-here/the-barn/animal-medication-for-goats/how-to-calculate-sheep-or-goat-weight

i don’t think I’d use a space heater, as it could easily get knocked over. I’d use a heat lamp..,ceramic bulb. That’s what I have. I’m glad you out Doby in with them. I’m sure she’s making plenty of milk...just one kid. As for treating lice...make sure you throughly clean out the bedding! I spray my barn with permethrin...it at TS...then do the bedding again. Don’t forget, the shot will need given again in ten days. I’ve heard mixed reviews on DE. I used it. Don’t have a clue if it helped...but...it made my goats cough, my chickens cough...I wore a mask..you have to, but I still hacked!!
Your goat will not be able to fight off a coyote. We have them in my fields constantly. We shoot at them. I keep my goats locked up overnight. Especially in the winter.

When you give shots, pull up the scruff on the back of the neck...below shoulder blades. Slide the needle in at an angle...then rub. It nice after you are done. Trust me..it’s harder on you, than it is on them! You can do this!! :)

I just saw this!

Lol I assure you, I cannot handle the injections. I tried when I got my first two and it was a nightmare. My all-white baby Luna screamed (so did i), bled, syringe popped and all the antibiotics or whatever splashed directly into my very open eye and mouth. The vet had to call the manufacturer of it to make sure it wasn’t gonna burn my retinas :)

The itching has gotten better. My vet gave me dewormer (some orally administered stuff) but I haven’t given it just yet (since Bertie -baby goat- is still healing from her very broken leg and had a little fever the other day).

I’ll have to try the website and measuring him! I’m so curious to see if I was close.

I’m definitely a nervous-goat mama these days. But they seem happy :) and I love them.

BYH has been such a resource for me/ my nerves.

08F94320-2797-4AE8-8E7F-B4D855ECE5F1.jpeg

Before Bertie broke her leg. With mama Lumos and step-dad Dobby.

(Last question- you think it’s bad that they eat cardboard? They used to just lay on it (after it rained on the grass) but they started eating it recently).