At what age do you test for CAE, CL, and Jones?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not really.

I just have found drawing blood on bucks starting in Aug on through January can be difficult. Their necks are huge and swollen from rut and it makes it very hard to draw from the jugular.
The does, I do like to test just prior to breeding... so that is July or Aug because we like to breed Aug/Sept - doesn't always work that way though.

When we had fewer goats I liked to do all goats around June...

Aged does IMO should be tested again 3 weeks before kidding.

Lot's of hooplah about inaccuracy of tests etc... and there is some truth to some of the testing like CL and serum Johnes... on the other side of that is consecutive yearly testing is not going to give you a false negative over and over year after year on the same goat.
By doing this you can also see if something changes, take action before there becomes a whole herd issue etc.

After so many years many will go to every other year for CL as it is the most expensive test.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like our State Lab (NC- Rollins Lab) they do our CAE and Johnes, and by permission they send out some of the serum to UC Davis for CL. I get billed from Rollins and UC Davis.
I like UC Davis for CL... our state lab doesn't have the equipment for CL testing. It is also very inexpensive for State residents, actually very inexpensive for out of state as well.

WADL is very good, most Universities or State Labs is who I would stick with.

This coming year I will send everything to WADL- sometimes it is good to switch up from time to time.

I have been drawing blood for IDK- like 30 years or so so I draw my own blood.
I will say there was a break in there and so when I got into goats I was really good at small vein, legs etc... but not proficient at jugular so I did have my vet come oout for "refresher" tecnhnique. As leg veins and jugular draws are a bit different. I personally just felt more comfortable doing it this way. Did I have to, no, but being rusty I thought it was best.

Jugular draws are VERY easy. Purchasing red tops and syringes, needles are inexpensive. It is nice because anytime you bring in an animal you can test while it is still in quarantine.
Some things by law a vet would have to do because of Federal paperwork which is TB/Brucellosis.

I encourage people to work with their vets as much as possible because they really are the ones to go to when there is an isssue. Forums are great, and many get support that they may not have otherwise, but in general I think searching until you find a vet you can work with is very valuable.

I test my herd for ME. Our clients get the benefits of a tested herd and healthy goats, but I am not testing for them. :)

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was a vet tech for several years so I have no problem with drawing blood. I prefer jugular draws over leg draws any day, as long as you have a proficient helper.

We have a large animal vet down the road. I'll have to see if they treat goats. I agree that a good vet is invaluable but I also do not like to rely on them for things I can do myself. I also worked as a tech caring for lab animals at the university and the vet I worked with cared for the university sheep and cattle. He may be a good resource too.

Thanks @Southern by choice :thumbsup