At what age to baby goats leave the barn

redfarmhouse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Obviously trying to plan ahead since mine are only a 12 days old, but when do you put babies outside the barn or garage? We've been taking them out in the grass in the warmth of the day multiple times to play.
Do you put them in with older does that aren't their mothers? These are bottle babies I am talking about.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I usually keep my kids in the house for 3 days to a week (mostly because of the cold). After that, all the bottle babies go into a special stall that I keep open for them. They also have a little "playpen" type yard outside for if it is nice enough out, otherwise, they get to play in the barn. I don't put them with the adult/older goats...Too fragile!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes at day 1, Just depends on how well mom is bonding with the kids, but we don't bottle feed. Sometimes we never put them in a kidding pen.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've only had two, but both were kept separate from the herd with their moms for 1 week and just put back with the herd, they did fine, just supervise for a while, to make sure they can get out of the way if any pushing and butting starts.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
You can't put bottle babies out w/ older does. They'll beat the tar out of them.

I keep mine seperated until they're around 6 mos old...then I try and add a group of kids to the least aggressive does in the herd first. I usually have to feed them seperately for a while, too...the more dominant does will chase them / butt them away from the feed.

This is the only drawback (for me) to bottle babies....introducing them to the herd w/ out a "mom" to protect them is a pain.

eta: If you don't have older does, you can put them out as soon as it's warm enough that they don't 'act' cold. If they're humped over / shivery...it's too cold.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I put them out with the rest of the herd when I think they are strong and mobile enough to get away from anyone who is picking on them. I make sure they have a place they can hide that the bigger ones can't get into.

redfarmhouse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So if it is in a seperate pen from the older ones, what age would you put them outside with a shelter?

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have "mini barns". They have doors or just a door opening, but are about 5x5'. I put my kids out in these around 2-3 weeks old. It's draft free, and I can close them up at night. I just make sure to put extra hay for bedding.

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have mine outside in the kids pen with their mommas and a shelter and they range from 6 days to 2 weeks. The kids love being outside. They run and play and frolic while mommas chew and eat. Granted they are not bottle babies, but I think they really benefit from fresh air and space to exercise as long as they have a place to go that is warm. Perhaps a heat lamp in a small shelter so they can get warm if they want(as long as it is safe and kid proof, they do get into trouble) Of course the weather here has cooperated nicely. 50s to 60s during the day.

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
with my 2 new babies, I am still working out whats going to work for me.
Mama goat is very protective of her space/food/babies. She will only allow her older daughter in their area. She is quite dominant over the other girls. So I have to keep my other girls in a seperate yard,and the boys in their yard. One of my younger does is thin and I want to feed her seperate.. so she needs her own yard too. OMG its a good thing Im home during the day and can rotate who is with who.

So in my case, I cant put the babies with the herd until mama relaxes.