Auction house goat: What chance she bred?

September

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We went and bought a female at one of the local auctions in VA. We bought a beautiful girl that will hopefully breed to our buck.

My biggest concern is they put ALL the goats together, and if it breathed it was mated. So I'm more then positive someone or something tried to mate with her several times today. Is it possible she could have been bred at the auction house? When we got home our buck went crazy over her, unlike our other goat annebelle who he pestered but eventually left alone. So I definitely think she was in heat while our other Annebelle is up in the air.

Should I write down todays date and a possible birthing time, or are does selective enough to only breed when she wants to be. (I've heard hens can eject sperm if they don't like a rooster) I'm mostly concerned about not knowing what the father is. Most of the bucks where three times her size, and people online suggest she might be an ND. I'd hate to lose her to big buck mating a small doeling.

Thank you so much for you time!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
have your vet lute her, she'll return to heat, lose any possible fertilized egg. If she's in estrus now, probably ND in the bloodlines. Most of your large dairy breeds are seasonal....this isn't the season :) Well, if I were the buyer, I'd have this done to assure myself of no "who's your daddy" kids. Will need to be done in about 10 days =/-. Vet can advise.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to take a chance of her being bred by a really large boy and complications that could arise during kidding......it would be my choice to followMini Horses advice. Good luck to you with your beautiful girl :)