Aural/ear hematoma

MoccoMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My 4 week old lamb has developed an aural hematoma. We're not entirely sure how he got it. My husband drained it last night, but today it has returned. I understand that it will probably clot and stay lumpy without intervention but I'm not sure whether to continue draining it or just leave it be and hope for the best? Is it that big a deal if sheep have "cauliflower ears"? He's just a pet lamb, he's never going to be sold so looks aren't an issue.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I would drain, place stiches where the ear separated (swelled), place gauze in the inner part of the ear and wrap tightly to incourage the ear to heal back togeather. I would also treat to prevent infection. This is very similar to how our house vet treated our dog last summer.

kfacres

Reaction score
did you recently eartag him, if so- cut it out.?

Check for ticks...

Daniel Whitton

Just born
Reaction score
Hello again, now 8 years into the launch of the Auralsplint Aural Hematoma Treatment for Canine. The initial study was conducted until June 2017 with varied degrees of effectiveness. Glad to report complete healing is occurring with those animals who find the hematoma early, aspirate with hypodermic needle before 7th day from onset, and use the Auralsplint treatment to correct the affliction. the FDA is at time of this post looking at the voluntary Pre Market Approval for sale and use. http://auralsplint.org/
Auralsplint Aural Hematoma Treatment Dog.JPG

Picture of Roja's ear after original Aural splint used in 2001, before patent awarded in 2006 and study in 2017.

Hello Herders.
This is Daniel Whitton.
It has come to my desk about an aural hematoma in your animal.
I am sure you herdfolk deal very closely with your veterinarians and their advise to help heal this affliction.

I am in the progress of introducing an aural hematoma treatment to the vet industry.
The 'Aural Splint' is a device to encapsulate the ear pinna after aspiration allowing the ear to heal in a protective and restrictive environment.

I am opposed to surgery because it does more harm than good.

We all are aware the hematoma will eventually subside and after a while the ear will shrivel leaving a poor reminder of what had occurred.
If we spend a lot of money for the very invasive and painful surgery, we can almost be sure the ear won't shrivel and perhaps the hematoma may not return.
These two options are the only options available out there today.

There are no guarantees.

However, the 'Aural Splint' does not splay the ear open and invite infection, or cause pain meds to be purchased and administered.
The 'Aural Splint' does more than just simple aspiration and a med injection.
The 'Aural Splint' attacks the hematoma with the ears own defense mechanism.

I was unaware of the potential for cross/animal applications for the treatment.
It would appear the 'Aural Splint' should work great for your animal as well as for the pendant ears of dogs and conical ears of cats and erect eared of other dogs and animals.

Please contact your vet for his immediate request to have a free trial of the treatment sent to him and applied in his office.
He and the owner will have a waiver to sign and a survey to fill out to be a part of the ongoing case study being performed.

Good luck and the sooner you address the problem the better the animal will feel and heal.

Daniel Whitton
auralsplint@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Daniel Whitton

Just born
Reaction score
The Auralsplint has proven its effectiveness. Go to Auralsplint.org for more details. aural splint logo.jpg