Ausra Farms - Updated

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Wehner Homestead Thank you!! We just finished installing it all and getting the trim up!

So no bloat this morning!!! She still has some nasty cough/wheezing but is acting 100% fine and does not have a low or high fever. Have given her draxxin & banamine for pain (as recommended by the vet) and still she has it. So I am at a loss.
But I brought her in the house last night at midnight so I could monitor her. She wouldn’t settle so I went in the kennel with her JUST to help her relax. Yeah. Well. I passed out. My partner came to find me at like 4am and took this picture :th

View attachment 46268

I fell asleep in a dog cage, with a baby lamb and slept there for 4 hours. :hide

No one can say I dont love my sheep :rolleyes:

I don't usually reply to posts so that they show up again but that one needs to. :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awwwww I hope the little lamb appreciates your care. You're a good shepherdess!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its been a while unfortunately. I took my nephew to the poultry show to see if he was serious about showing poultry, I believe he is now! So I was a sucker and let him pick out some chicks for him to show (when I already have 50 chicks right now) :he
I lost grim as I had been calling her, the lamb shown earlier. She had struggled since she was born and honestly I was surprised she lasted as long as she did. It was hard but tis the circle of life.
Yesterday we were hit with tornado level winds. I got a call from my neighbor that my alpacas enclosure had collapsed, the roof of my lambs structure was coming off, there were 3 powerlines down around my house & my temporary fence for my sheep was down. I was lucky enough to get off work to go home to handle it all. I had to go through 2 sheriffs to get to my house to handle the situation as they closed the roads because of the down powerlines. By the time I got home, we had no power. I called the boy and he came home to help as well. First we got my one alpaca out of the enclosure that was stuck, he was not hurt at all just was on the other side of it. The sheep escaped the fence obviously but the wind was at 83mph so they were just sitting in the field facing away from the wind. The wind was throwing so much around it kept shorting my exterior fence but luckly they had no interest in exploring. We have to ratchet the roof panels down on the lamb enclosure, somehow that worked until it died down but the lambs were freaking out. The boy set up the generator as the lambs and my chicks needed heat. The horse boarders across from me called for help because their big metal barn door was ripping off and the horses inside were slamming against their stalls in fear. I dont know how but after much deliberation and patience we got it resecured. Next, my good friend and neighbor called, she had 2 incubators, 2 day old ducks and 3 calves she had no heat for. So over to my house they came. Next we had to go back to her house and rescue her chickens trapped in their coops that had FLIPPED and tumbled across a field. We eventually got them all into her garage. During this time other neighbors with small animals requiring heat came over to take advantage of our electricity, my house looked like noahs ark :hu I had SOOO many chicks, ducks, incubators, calves, a few lambs, it was hilarious. As my neighbor and I went back out to find a new short in the front fence one of the lineman working up the street came running towards us flaring his arms and screaming. But there was absolutely no way we could hear him, I couldn't hear Brittney standing next to me. :barnie
Finally we reached each other and he let us know another powerline had snapped and fallen into the irrigation canal and to stay away from it as it was electrified. Awesome! I got home from work around 3:15, I got inside around 8:30. Power didnt come back for anyone else until 10:30 and then until midnight everyone was collecting their animals. There is still alot of cleanup to do but everyone I know had no losses. Lots of damage to still be assessed but all animals were okay minus sinus and eye issues (my poor sheeps eyes and muzzle were just caked). So how was everyone elses Tuesday? :th

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You are welcome to come be my neighbor whenever you so choose! I'm sure all those folks that you helped are beyond thankful. Glad to hear things weren't worse and no lives lost... property can be repaired/replaced. Hope you don't have that event followed up by anything worse. :fl