Australian Shepherds as LGD's?

AllenK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never owned a LGD before and now that I will be keeping livestock again, I would like to invest in a guardian who will be good for guarding the animals and the home. They will be outside dogs and need to be kid friendly. From what I have gathered from research Australian Shepherds seems to fit the need but I was wondering if anyone who owns one could weigh in on this. I definitely want to be sure before committing to this.

Location in Northern Indiana.
Livestock-goats, cattle, chickens.
I would not recommend Australian Shepherds for a location with chicken. My rescue killed our last flock and needs to get adopted out before I can allow my current flock to free range. It was heartbreaking she was great with them for 10 days total. Note to self do not name chicken it never ends well.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A
I have never owned a LGD before and now that I will be keeping livestock again, I would like to invest in a guardian who will be good for guarding the animals and the home. They will be outside dogs and need to be kid friendly. From what I have gathered from research Australian Shepherds seems to fit the need but I was wondering if anyone who owns one could weigh in on this. I definitely want to be sure before committing to this.

Location in Northern Indiana.
Livestock-goats, cattle, chickens.
Australian Shepherds are a herding breed and not a guardian breed of dog. I would never put a herding breed in as a guardian animal...disaster waiting to happen. There are several breeds of guardian dog that have been bred over the centuries to guard livestock and each breed has their own attributes. Good luck on your search for a LGD. :)

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Everyone has basically already said it but besides being a herding breed versus an LGD, which everyone already pointed out, Australian Shepherds are also highly intelligent, somewhat sensitive dogs and bond closely with their families so I don't think they are really "outside dogs." They are often nicknamed "velcro dogs." Plus they are very smart and need a job to do, like herding the livestock for you, or tricks, or a dog sport and/or lots of physical exercise. For a farm dog, herding would probably suffice, it is what they were bred to do after all, but basically, they are active dogs and not really content to just sit around outside and watch the livestock. And left alone, they will likely become bored and create their own job, one that you will most likely not approve of. They may even start herding/harassing the stock on their own. They need a job and exercise. They can make amazing dogs though and are amazing family dogs if you wanted an indoor pet/working dog/farm companion or if you went outside to visit and work your dog a lot if it HAD to be kept outside. They can also be protective of their families but it's just a totally different job. You might also like a farm collie though. Like an Old Time Scotch Collie or an English Shepherd.