1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Shepherds as LGD's?

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by MrsCedarstone, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Jul 12, 2014
    Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Barn Babe

2. Jul 19, 2018
    AllenK

AllenK Chillin' with the herd

I would not recommend Australian Shepherds for a location with chicken. My rescue killed our last flock and needs to get adopted out before I can allow my current flock to free range. It was heartbreaking she was great with them for 10 days total. Note to self do not name chicken it never ends well.

3. Oct 10, 2018
    goatboy1973

goatboy1973 True BYH Addict

A
    Australian Shepherds are a herding breed and not a guardian breed of dog. I would never put a herding breed in as a guardian animal...disaster waiting to happen. There are several breeds of guardian dog that have been bred over the centuries to guard livestock and each breed has their own attributes. Good luck on your search for a LGD. :)