Autumnprairie's Journal>> NEW Update Today

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Wow, what a hectic and exciting week. I have 2 new kids, and a Saanen doe that is not the smartest bulb in the bush. Last night I went out to check on the goats before I headed to bed and Whitney was :sick vomiting every where. :barnie
Yelled for QM and concluded that she may have got some mold hay. We drenched her with molasses, pepto, probios, elcetrolytes and water about 16 ozs. Oh, she was not happy. :tongue
My DH told me that she was eating azealas in the front yard last night I thought you knew. :rant I have thought about changing her name to Brittney instead of Whitney :smack
I called my vet to see if there was anything else I should be doing? When I told him it was azealas, he told me he would have drenched differently, Mineral oil based not digestive base. He told me since it had been about 12 hours keopectate to get the rest out of her then supportive care. fluid drenches and such.

I am putting this out there what would you have done? and I would like to get a good medical book to help or should I be calling the vet more often.

UPDATE: She is still standing and is actually wanting to eat she ate some of her favorite traets, craisins blueberry :woot :celebrate

Tomorrow we are building a buck pen and moving the does and kids to the new nursery the 20x40 yard and 10x10 indoor sleep area, I need to build my milk stand and chicken brooder, I am expanding my population to hopefully include all the orpington colors or at least the 4 main ones white, blue, black and buff. They will have a 8X16 coop and 30X30 yard.

I am also thinking about getting a few turkeys for the goat yard I think if I get them at TSC or Atwoods I have to buy 6 that should be good to start right?

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I do like Orp's. I've had them for years. They make good eating, friendly nature and good egg production. Blues are purdy but I like all the colors. I'm also a big Rock fan, thats Partridge Rocks mainly and Barred Rocks.

As for drenching...I don't do that much compared to the many others I read about on here, lol. I don't know any Goats that like to be drenched.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would have given her activated charcoal. You did the best under the circumstances and I hope she is OK.

We started with 6 turkeys and had no problem selling the 4 we didn't eat. I could have sold 50. I am getting more this year.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'll be getting more turkeys this year too.

Mine did well ranging in the buck's yard. The turkeys gave the bucks a wide berth but the tom liked to chase my one wether, Rocky. :lol:

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Lol, I got straight run White Royal Palms a few months ago. They are coming along and have got alot of outside time.

I'm glad the goats are doing better and that you now have a work horse in QM to work with.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Boy, If I could get a buck. WOULD LOVE one. I just am SO close to the neighbors to have a smelly buck.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Lol, I got straight run White Royal Palms a few months ago. They are coming along and have got alot of outside time.

I'm glad the goats are doing better and that you now have a work horse in QM to work with.
Neigh, phhpphph. (Shakes her heavy white mane and stomps her hoof)

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
77Herford said:

Neigh, phhpphph. (Shakes her heavy white mane and stomps her hoof)
:yuckyuck

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Priscilla is so cute! Are you going to keep her? Is your other doe going to kid soon?