1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Awwww...pests. Or should I turkey farm?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Scooby308, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Feb 28, 2016
    Scooby308

Scooby308 Loving the herd life

I know folks love turkey hunting so don't hate me. Back in the day in KY there were very few turkeys. You could go out in shorts and lay in the grass and never have an issue with biting nastiest we call no see-ems. Those are also known as turkey mites. The state brought them back in from other states in @ the 1990's and with them the explosion in mites. You have to be covered head to toe or be covered in bites. Anyone know of a way to get rid of them short of SeVen, which I will not use? Looking for organic methods if possible.

This was our backyard yesterday afternoon.

Attached Files:

2. Feb 28, 2016
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Turkey mites?? For some reason the mattress commercial about dust mites popped in my head. :lol: Maybe buy the turkeys a new mattress?? :gig:gig

Sorry......I just do that sometimes.......

OK, I am thinking a soap based spray. Maybe some Dawn dishwashing liquid, cayenne powder and garlic juice. it sure gets the corn worms that eat my tomatoes! It only takes a little Dawn, too much and it burns the plant. You might want to mix some, write down how much of what, and test a small plot.

Scooby308 likes this.
  3. Feb 29, 2016
    Ponker

Ponker Loving the herd life

Guineas. They eat everything. Even things we cannot see with the naked eye. Chiggers are the primary reason we have ours...oh and for the ticks. They are a wonderful organic solution to bug problems.

Good luck!

Scooby308 likes this.