Awwww...pests. Or should I turkey farm?

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know folks love turkey hunting so don't hate me. Back in the day in KY there were very few turkeys. You could go out in shorts and lay in the grass and never have an issue with biting nastiest we call no see-ems. Those are also known as turkey mites. The state brought them back in from other states in @ the 1990's and with them the explosion in mites. You have to be covered head to toe or be covered in bites. Anyone know of a way to get rid of them short of SeVen, which I will not use? Looking for organic methods if possible.

This was our backyard yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• 0227161733_resized.jpg
    0227161733_resized.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 0227161730_resized.jpg
    0227161730_resized.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 184

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Turkey mites?? For some reason the mattress commercial about dust mites popped in my head. :lol: Maybe buy the turkeys a new mattress?? :gig:gig

Sorry......I just do that sometimes.......

OK, I am thinking a soap based spray. Maybe some Dawn dishwashing liquid, cayenne powder and garlic juice. it sure gets the corn worms that eat my tomatoes! It only takes a little Dawn, too much and it burns the plant. You might want to mix some, write down how much of what, and test a small plot.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Guineas. They eat everything. Even things we cannot see with the naked eye. Chiggers are the primary reason we have ours...oh and for the ticks. They are a wonderful organic solution to bug problems.

Good luck!

Latest posts