B&B Happy Goats....journal

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
BACK TO THE COUNTRY. ...AGAIN, .....i guess, i have found home again, where my heart is happy and my interaction with humans are by my own choice. The best part of being retired is living life the way you want to ....instead of the way you need to live.... we found our place "in the middle of nowhere" , surrounded by cows, goats, and all kinds of farm animals, ... with the human homes far enough away....and in the middle of it all was a sign that said ...for sale.... To me it was heaven, i could live around all the animals, watch them and enjoy them , I didn't even have to get up and feed any of them,... fantastic ! ...For my husband...he looked at me like i was a total nut case and promply said...they don't even have internet here, WTH are you thinking, we are too far away from stores, and there is alot of work to do here, OMG...are you serious ? And two years later, we are happier than ever....we have our ND goats, chickens, rabbits, two dogs and a very brave cat....my husband freaked at the thought of getting goats, now when i am looking for him, and he appears to be among the missing, i look out the window and find him sitting with the goats, patting, giving them a treat and talking with them, ....a love affair with goats has developed for him...and that makes me happy.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coincidentally, when we were down checking on a mod we need to do, I told Teresa that Barb is probably wanting a Mel fix. I didn't intend for me to be in the picture but he is giving me one of those big eyed looks that seems like it can see straight into your heart. :)
Mel 16 June 2020.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The rain kindly did stop before we started on the goat chores next door. First up
IMG_20190402_084543700.jpg
Two bucklings born this morning. Here is @B&B Happy goats holding one.

Next we fashioned some makeshift barriers for 2 stalls so the mommas and their kids could have some private space.
Also put a tarp on the gate to block the one to breeze.

Still 1 more to kid, she's really big
IMG_20190401_091844727.jpg

After that the vet showed up (had an emergency call that held him up). Rocky was brought out
IMG_20190402_093432168.jpg
Then brought over to B&B's for the deed
IMG_20190402_095810226_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190402_100011545.jpg

Lest you think I did nothing useful while this was going on, I was dutifully holding the hot iron and making sure I didn't fry myself while taking pictures. After that picture was taken I handed the iron off and held the back end of the goat down while the vet did a little cleanup on the second horn. Small goats are surprising strong.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Berkshire are supposed to have fat marbling throughout the meat. The first feeder pigs we raised were Large Black and Berkshire cross. There is a Berkshire breeder a couple of counties away, but the prices on them are HIGH! If you got these at a reasonable price, count yourself fortunate! If you are going to have these processed, better make an appointment NOW. If you can't get a slaughter date in the next 6-8 months, better plan on slaughtering them yourself. I don't know about your location, but around here, bookings for slaughter are in March to May 2021 already. It's nuts.

I like raising pigs. They are easy to raise and provide a lot of meat. Check out @promiseacres thread on ham and bacon curing.

We have two pigs that will go to slaughter August 24, they don't cure bacon or ham. We have done bacon before and it was the best bacon ever.
Never tried a ham, so following along with promiseacres to see how hers turns out.

Stupid power is flickering on and off. Wach time the internet has to reset itself. I guess I need to get fressed and fo do chores. Misspellings are a result of my typing in the dark I am not a good typist, I gurss i'll comr bask later and post thos.

I tried to post this morning, but the electricity did not cooperate. LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't like adopting from rescues. Most are run by bleeding heart wackos that charge big bucks for a mutt. Some have contracts whereby you never really own the animal and they retain the right to take it back if your care isn't up to their standards. Same reason I don't like the SPCA. It's a money making racket. In Texas, there is no recourse if they seize your animal, it is gone. You never get it back. Then they "rehab" it and sell it. Beg for donations to "save" (steal) more animals.

I guess y'all know how I feel about that--and I kept all the cuss words in my head and not in my fingers. :duc

Just to clarify, the horse we just bought from the kill pen is not a "rescue". The kill pen is not a rescue, it is a business. A business of shipping horses to Mexico for slaughter, which most of us would not want to do, but a business nonetheless. He offers up the better ones for sale, again, it is a business decision. The owner does have a heart and some tug at his heart strings, but if they don't sell, they are shipped, it is a business. Why did I buy from a kill pen? Because somebody else already went to the auction barns, gathered up lots of horses, filtered out the sick, lame and crazy, and put the best up for sale. I can shop for a horse online, pick the one I am willing to take a chance on, and go get her. It is buying a pig in a poke, but what the hell, I'll take the chance.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...…...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we got home our neighbor that you helped , had people helping her catch the two pigs.....soooo we went to help. No more pigs at her house :clap
:yesss: I think your life will be easier with fewer animals to chase around. When we went over in the morning Ethyl was outside the fence. Took another neighbor and me a fair bit of herding and some time to get her back in with Lucy. Hopefully their new owner will be able to do something with their skin issues.

Reckon Bruce will go home and get some goats? LOL
No, you already told me I shouldn't ;) IF I got goats, I guess they would have to be cashmere so they would have some purpose. But since we've not done anything with the alpaca fiber other than shove it in big contractor bags, I don't guess we would do any better with goat fleece.

Bay, if your "soil" looks anything like Fred and Barb's I am in awe that any of you can grow anything. Pure sand. I'd happily trade 10 yards of my 'soil' for that sand, add some compost and we all might be able to grow stuff much more easily!

I tried to get Mel in my carry-on bag but I started with his tail and when it didn't fit I gave up. :D

No more bottle babies AFTER these two, right? ;)
Right ... until the next ones need assistance. Hopefully your does will be able to care for their own, you have your hands full with the 2 bottle babies and Rocky.

Barb, returning to VT isn't going to do much for pollen allergies. The car was backed up against an exterior wall (4' "pony", open above that to the next floor). I had to wash the yellow pollen off the windshield before I set off. I will dutifully take my Aller-tec pills.

I much enjoyed my time with my BYH friends. I'm glad I was able to help a little and appreciate the hospitality at both Florida residences.

Time to go shopping.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to have a furniture store. At the risk of alienating my female friends, I have to say that women can be the stupidest creatures allowed to breathe, eat and drink. Don't believe me? Then deal with them in a retail situation. Case in point:

Female shopper: I need a new mattress set, mine is horrible, my back hurts and I can't sleep.
Me: Let me show you a few sets that I think you'll like.
Then I proceed to show her mattress sets, encourage her to lay down, lay on her side and rest a moment on each one until she finds one that suits her.
FS: This is great, I love this mattress, it feels so good!
She goes on and on how this is the one she wants.
FS: Does this come in any other color?
Indeed, mattress companies know that women are fickle and that "pretty" sells.
Me: No mam, this is the only color that this set comes in.
FS: Then I don't want it.
Me: Do you have sheets on your bed?
FS: Yes (looking at me like I'm an idiot)
Me: Surely you sleep in the dark with your eyes closed and you have sheets, mattress cover and a bedspread on your bed.
FS: (starting to get nasty) Yes, but I'd know it was under there.
Me: Really? What color is the mattress set that you have now?
FS: (stammering) I-I-I-don't know.
Me: (smiling) Exactly my point.
FS: gets mad and storms out

Most people were a delight to work with and we enjoyed them. But then there are those who make you wonder how they even make it through the day.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny that you mentioned that Barb, because as I have gotten older, I have also thought that some sort of a joint type venture would be good.;) It would make it possible for people to stay "close" to the farming they like, and have the support and help like was stated; if someone wants to go away or something, there would be others to take care of the chores.:yesss:
I like to do the outside work, and love my cows. :ya:ya Hate to cook for myself all the time,:( and really, just looking at some of the recipes, on some of the Keto stuff, it would be nice to have a "common" kitchen where meals could be made and eaten. Like a boarding house or some type of thing. I have considered finding a "bigger house" and maybe trying to get a "house mate" or two... share some of the work and food. Especially if I could find someone who likes to cook and clean inside more,:fl:fl yet wouldn't mind the outside work too. Maybe I just need to get a "live in" housekeeper; room and board and meals, for x amount of work as trade, or pay a reduced rent for x amount of work in exchange... or joint equal payment for a place with work and sweat equity, balanced with other inputs.... You know, put a value on some things as some are much better at some things than others.... If I get my joints fixed... I will be an "old BIONIC" woman too.:celebrate:celebrate:lol::lol:

I'm pretty good at "providing" the raw ingredients, and even like for @Baymule , and @CntryBoy777 , and @Mike CHS , they all have a "better half" so there isn't that "being alone" and cooking and all so much as for those of us that are single. :hu But I have toyed with the idea of maybe having some type of "common kitchen" and cooking a couple meals and just having people come to eat...sorta like the old days boarding houses.... and making it a donation thing so that I don't have to deal with things like permits.... trade off some work that I can't do....just so that I am not cooking for one all the time. Know any singles that might be interested in it...

When I was active on "Farmers Only" , I "advertised" that I had the stock, animals, and experience..... just needed a partner. Kinda like having a "dowry".... I have "Equity" :gig:lol::lol: :clap. Had several from out in the west, contacting me and such.... but I really didn't want to move to someplace where there was 6-8 months of long hard winter and cold.

Some days I need another that "expects me" to do certain things or I want to slack off :th. Guess it is a 'depression' sort of thing, but most of the time I have too much to do to let it get to me. And some days I just don't feel like pushing myself. I think that it is partly due to the joints hurting all the time.:hit I hope that after the surgery, if it doesn't hurt so much, I will be more wanting to get stuff done.
I really am thinking about a garden again next year, I miss the fresh stuff. Plus one of my farmers son; (son and his wife) are opening a "local food store" which has arose from them selling beef that has really gotten bigger than they ever dreamed; and due to alot of dissention at the farm, might prove to be a good future for them if things continue to get worse at the dairy. There would be an outlet for produce there, without having to set up at a farmers market and such. Eggs too. Consignment or outright sale to them.... He did alot of produce to go along with the beef this past year and has many people buying beef and wanting more. Made some serious money and the demand for the beef has been real good. So after several years away from the food co-op that I used to supply eggs to, and some surplus produce from the garden, that always sold good... I am thinking again it might be a good "sideline" ..... :jumpy:jumpy . Just some things to chew on a bit.