1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Deep litter for sheep... - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Happy Goats....journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by B&B Happy goats, Oct 22, 2018.

1. May 13, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

What kind of litter ? ...they are in a fenced area free rangin and on dirt ? Like cat litter . And would the lime burn their feet or hurt them when the scratch and peck in it ????

SA Farm and Rammy like this.
  2. May 13, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

We use Ag Lime in our stalls and it doesn't burn their feet. We have a tarp stretched outside the stalls that they use and we also put lime out there. It neutralizes everything. With our chickens we use wood chips from TSC and that goes in the garden when we clean the coops.

Rammy and B&B Happy goats like this.
  3. May 13, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Thank you, got the picture now...just a little brain dead tonight, lol...guess i will go get some sleep...goodnight to you all :frow sleep well :love

SA Farm and Rammy like this.
  4. May 13, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    SA Farm and B&B Happy goats like this.
  5. May 14, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

In the fall, I pick up bags of leaves that people nicely rake up and leave at the curb. I have piled leaves 2-3 feet deep in the coop and run before. The chickens love it, they scratch the leaves to bits, poop all over them and make a nice crumbly rich compost. Pine shavings, garden trimmings, grass, all make good deep litter.

SA Farm, B&B Happy goats and Rammy like this.
  6. May 14, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Ive done that, too. Chickens were terrified of the leaves. Had to throw them in the coop for a week because the scary leaf monsters were going to eat them.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    SA Farm, B&B Happy goats and Baymule like this.
  7. May 14, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I got bags of sawdust one time from a friend remodeling his house, he had a table saw. My hens acted like it was hot lava! they got over it.

SA Farm, Rammy and B&B Happy goats like this.
  8. May 14, 2019
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

This might be futile, nevertheless here I go... animals shot on safari are used for meat for the hunter's table, the Professional Hunter's (PH) family, and the balance is given to the locals. The hides are salted, the skulls are boiled, in anticipation of a skull mount, and any other body part the hunter wants made into a trophy.

Safari hunting which is highly regulated brings in a lot of money into Africa and that makes the animals valuable instead of being a nuisance that destroys crops.

The person on safari can only specify what type of animal he wants. It is the job of the PH to find the most suitable animal. No reasonable PH will have the shooter kill an animal out of convenience. The PH wants the shooter to have a good target and get the horns/hide/skull that the shooter wants which means it probably isn't the first animal they find. The animals are valuable; they are chosen carefully. Males are the target not females... for obvious reasons.

I'll grant anyone that there are unethical PHs who will allow the shooter kill anything... but if the PH wants to stay in business then he has to treat a safari like a business. You don't kill the seed bull if you want to eat in the future.

Elephants are matriarchal society.

9. May 14, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I went and got my girls from next door...payment before I sell the rest ! Just quick shots as we are making play area for our kid's :lol: top is Blossom, the momma, the one with the dark brown i fell in love with before she was dry ! 20190514_114433.jpg

10. May 14, 2019
    B&B Happy goats