B&B Happy Goats....journal

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought it was you that suggested tapping the rooster on the neck like he was getting pecked.?.
Sorry, must of been someone else, .....anyhow it worked for awhile to make him stay away from me....just happy he caught my arm instead of my better eye.

Yeah, that was me but it wasn't for embarrassing him. It was part of a method of escalation that only requires one use the stick for one training session. If done right, you never have to repeat the lesson. Was reading on BYC the other day where someone quoted me as teaching folks to carry a stick all the time. Left me scratching my head.... :rolleyes: The whole thing lasts about 5 min. time and you should never have to use a stick again.

If you just used the tapping, that's likely why it only worked for awhile. This may help you avoid getting attacked again.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That was a good article @Beekissed . Very similar to being a herd leader to horses.

Good on you for putting a period on that behavior @B&B Happy goats. And whoa! on those lemons! If those are Meyers you really got a great thing. I love Meyer lemons, but have never seen any that gigantic. They have the best flavor, and I will buy bags of them when they are in season and juice and freeze. I crave it in my water, it's so refreshing in the summer when you've been working hard all day.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
HOLY COW. I didn't know that lemons got that big. They almost look like oranges

I though the same!
I rather gift that bird to Sophie's memory , than take the time to pluck and clean that young , mean ...nasty...rooster :mad:

We don't have to eat them all! At least he won't attack again. Plus, I betcha Sophie is laughing right now!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The jersey giant breed in general is a pretty calm breed. Not overly aggressive. But like ANYTHING, there are some exceptions to every generality. People talk about how flighty leghorns are, yet when I was breeding the standard size S.C. Light Browns, I had hens that would set and raise their own chicks and were easy to handle. I did handle them more than some, since they were show birds. My sister was given an egg at a show when she was about 6 yrs old. It hatched and was a bantam white leghorn pullet. Taught her to wear a cat harness and walked her all around on a "leash". But again, the generalities of the breed is that they are more flighty, and more excitable. I have read several places where people really don't like the delawares, yet I found them to be very good layers and not overly aggressive. ANY MEAN ROOSTER needs to be disposed of. Not worth getting hurt like you said. The only time we somewhat tolerate a mean rooster is in the Old English Games because their origins are based in the fighting birds. BUT, within the communities that fought their birds, it was an established thing that the roosters did not fight their handlers......only other roosters. I don't condone fighting chickens, but it was an art back in the day. There are worse things than fighting roosters. And if a person had to choose between that and some kind of aggressive behavior towards other people, I'd take the cock fighting any day. We are humans but even our beginnings had to do with survival of the fittest, and men in general have more of a tendency towards some sort of dominance, protector, being able to fight for what they held dear. Just like so many talk about having a rooster that looks out for the flock while the hens do the scratching etc.... Nature and natural tendencies.....We have lost so much of the "protector" part of human nature. Man protecting wife and family, mother protecting kids..... younger protecting older generations....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score