1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Rate this sheep's condition - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Happy Goats....journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by B&B Happy goats, Oct 22, 2018.

1. May 23, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Dear STA, we have central AC in the house...all goats are welcome inside, lol....its outside that's hot.
    Just may consider swamp cooler for the back porch !

2. May 23, 2019
    Senile_Texas_Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie True BYH Addict

Miss @B&B Happy goats,

That is what I meant when I mentioned the swamp cooler -- put it in the barn to cool it there. But swamp coolers aren't cheap (except compared to air conditioners ;)). However, misting fans are relatively cheap, so maybe a couple of those might do the trick. We had misters under the patio cover at our house in McKinney. That combined with the large fan really cooled it off. It also got just about everything damp or outright wet!

3. May 23, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Actually, the goat barn has three large openings for summer with a fan up high to keep the air moving. ...I just don't want to sit in a birthing stall with my goat when the temperature is in the mid to high 90's, and the humidity is 50 percent and higher....so, my pregnant doe can come into the AC and have her kid in comfort :)for my sake as well as hers.:highfive:

4. May 23, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

I don't see how adding more moisture to humid air is going to feel any cooler unless maybe if the water is colder than the ambient temp.

5. May 23, 2019
    Senile_Texas_Aggie

That seems reasonable, but I know how much cooler our patio was in McKinney with the misters and fan going. With just the fan, it would be OK until it got above 90º or so. Then I would turn on the misters and the temperature would drop quite a bit.

6. May 23, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

What was the humidity like in McKinney?

7. May 23, 2019
    Senile_Texas_Aggie

It would vary. It would tend to be a bit drier than in east Texas and in Florida, but it could get quite humid. The dry line in Texas (where moist air from the Gulf meets dry air from the Rockies and plains) tends to be between Wichita Falls and Childres, though it can move west or east of that line. For Miss @B&B Happy goats, it would almost certainly be more humid than it was in McKinney, but I think the misters will still work. One rather inexpensive way for her to find out would be to either buy a misting fan (such as this one at walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/NewAir-A...utdoor-Oscillating-Misting-Fan-Black/43380699 ) or a misting system (such as this one at Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Low-Pressure-24-sq-ft-Residential-Misting-System/1000033065 , which I think is the one we bought for McKinney). If it works, especially the misters together with the overhead fan in her barn, it can make it quite a bit cooler.

8. May 23, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

The idea is a great solution if I had a long term problem....however, we are talking about cooling for one goat kidding this month, and adding a swamp cooler would sure make their hay feeder one nasty moulding mess...., then I would have sick goats.
    Real solution is breed so they kid in the fall, early winter :thumbsup

9. May 23, 2019
    rachels.haven

rachels.haven Loving the herd life Golden Herd Member

I highly recommend making soap! I made some recently and it was fun. The scents made it smell good too. Waiting on finishing cure time.

10. May 23, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Lol, i just ordered the molds last night along with the lye and some essential oils....i have been milking a few girls and freezing the milk.....waiting for order to arrive by the 30th :celebrate