B&B Happy Goats....journal

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hell, I could live with the destruction if he only CAUGHT the damned things... Have yet to see any proof of mole/vole termination but have trenches and holes all over that I have to watch my step. I've ended up on my ass with twisted ankles several times because of his excavations & from collapsing ground that has been undermined...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I had started a more scientific and verifiable procedure(s) but I didn't. We were close to losing several lambs so I started trying everything I could but in doing so I can't validate any one thing being the most tangible. We cut paddocks and and took the grass out of the pastures and then sprayed with nitrogen fertilizer that kills a large percentage of the parasites. I sprayed a bleach solution for the same reason. We also got a couple of calves to run behind our sheep since they aren't susceptible to the same parasites but eat the grass that the sheep don't. We did random fecals on all of our sheep before we put them on a dry lot situation for a couple of months and again just before putting them back on pasture and the worm load was greatly reduced. The problem is that I have no idea which of the things we did made the greatest difference. I'll try again in the spring with a more orderly procedure but when you are looking at losing multiple livestock you don't put a lot of importance on being orderly but rather just get the problem fixed. :)