1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Happy Goats....journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by B&B Happy goats, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jun 25, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

I hear ya! I did two over the weekend so got rid of 4 nuts, lol!

2. Jun 25, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Those still with nuts around here still get to keep them. LOL Waiting on someone to come by, don’t want to get going on a project and get interrupted. Then @Devonviolet and her husband are stopping by. I’ll take interruptions any day to see DV!

3. Jun 25, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Share the cheese ...share the cheese :lol::lol::lol::love

Bruce, Baymule, AmberLops and 4 others like this.
  4. Jun 25, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Got everything done except the lime, I bought ag lime and I just read that I should use hydrated lime in the fall ? ...i need to ask this question...if i want to make the ph of the goat yard soil "less hospitable" to parasites , and not kill the grass, and we have lots of rain...which lime should I use ? @greybeard @Mike CHS @ @CntryBoy777. .?.... ANYBODY ???

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. Jun 25, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

I'm not really sure, right off hand....I have never used lime in that fashion, for that reason.....I've only used it to change the ph of the soil....I never had too much parasite problems by keeping the grass as high as the mower would cut....I always left some of the taller grass for them to browse on until it grew to the height they liked....the more their head is up while eating, the less likely they will get them from browsing or grazing....that is the reason I got the Khaki Campbell ducks...they are prolific at eating snails, slugs, flies, and most anything that squirms, hops, crawls, or flies....the goats loved having them around to keep the flies off of them and the ducks like them around to scare hawks and other things off....even though we don't eat may eggs on a regular basis, it wasn't the egg production that mattered to me....it was their bug and parasite "host" hunting that was well worth having them.....hopefully, one of the others will have some info on that for ya......:)

6. Jun 25, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I have some loose chickens out there, they are bug crazy.. ...... I just want to make the damp soil less parasite friendly for eggs to hatch.....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  7. Jun 25, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

We use Dolomite Lime (pelleted). We didn't do a soil test after applying the lime this year but we have vegetation growing on a parcel of about 1 acre that was barren with just the occasional weed last year. @greybeard can correct me if I'm wrong but I have applied lime at any time if it needs it. It doesn't burn so I don't see the harm of putting it out in summer.

8. Jun 25, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

9. Jun 25, 2019
    Devonviolet

Devonviolet Herd Master

Awww!!! :hugs I feel the same way @Baymule!!! We were just saying how much we enjoyed our visit with y'all! :)

DH and I sure enjoy visiting with you and your DH.:hugs

CntryBoy777, Baymule, SA Farm and 3 others like this.
  10. Jun 25, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

Sounds like you guys had a crazy day! I'm sure every day is crazy though, with the goats and all those chores ha ha :lol:
    I hope Leon feels better soon!