1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Happy Goats....journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by B&B Happy goats, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jun 26, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

@Mike CHS ...while i was in chicken area, the darn crows were driving me nuts...thought about taking a few out , ....and the dang squirrels are pretty brazen around here too....but I would of had to go back into the house to get my pistol....too hot and tired to get up and get it , so I just continued working :tongue

2. Jun 26, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Ya aughtta keep a loaded BB gun on your porch....and heck, might as well have one hanging in the goat house....that way they'll be close by when ya need it...:)

3. Jun 26, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

I have raccoons too but they don't give me any trouble.
    coonfeeder.jpg

calfcoon_008.JPG

All the animals here get along good..they better if they want to stick around and not take the ride.

All of these were here on the porch more than once when the possum and raccoon came up to get a bite.
    dogscats.JPG

dogpossum 006.jpg

4. Jun 26, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

I love opossums...they're pretty amazing critters :)
    I've only caught 1 in my live trap...and 1 raccoon. I just let em' go back in the woods...they haven't caused me any problems so far.

5. Jun 26, 2019
    farmerjan

farmerjan Herd Master

I feel sorry for possums, but I don't like them too. They carry diseases that can kill a horse, and don't ever corner one. They can really hurt you. But I do feel sorry for them as they are so "out of time" . They will eat young chickens if they can get to them, and yes, grab and eat them alive. Mostly them and skunks will go for the available feed.
    Now I do have a major hate affair with raccoons. They are too smart; they got the hook and eyes open with a group of half grown purebred chicks one time and torn them apart. We found some still alive with their wings torn off, a couple with broken or torn off legs, parts of others everywhere. It was a family and they not only kill for food but they will kill for fun. Took me a couple days, but I caught a momma and 2 young ones going in my coop after some of mine that I had let out for some free range time one evening. Shot them but missed the big boar coon as he came running out the trap door and down the ramp.
    Got him 2 nights later....he was tearing the wire mesh off the window trying to get in. They are too destructive.

6. Jun 26, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

I will tolerate alot of nature, but either coons or possums gotta go....they're fine as long as they stay away from the house and don't mess with my other animals....I got this one in the duck yard.....biggest I have ever seen....
    IMAG2816.jpg .....I wear a size 12D shoe, for reference...

7. Jun 26, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

8. Jun 27, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Possums will crawl up the rear end of a dead cow and eat it's entrails from the inside. I've seen them go running out when the cow was drug off to the bone pile...

9. Jun 27, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I have Paris. She kills everything. Snakes, possum, her barking keeps coons away. Her sidekick Trip is not near as fierce as she is. She leaps in the air at buzzards and hawks.

10. Jun 27, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Well....when it's daylight and a racoon goes into a dog house with the dog standing there barking....something is wrong...gotta go.....killing my chickens....gotta go