1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Happy Goats....journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by B&B Happy goats, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Yeh, she had to be up to be ready to assist DD3 this afternoon with kids...one has an appointment....and then she is bringing the GD back to spend a few days....her first away from home, by herself....in our new house....we'll see how it goes, Gabbie is thrilled as I am to be outta them diapers.....:yesss:

Good boy Mell!!.....just remember what I told ya yesterday....:)
    If the sub floor is plywood, I wouldn't be too concerned, but if it is that pressed board crap....once it swells it is over, it'll continue to "flake to failure"....but the flooring will/should protect it quite a bit....:)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Fred, it's OSB, not the real flakey , but not plywood....found that out when we pulled the carpet in the living room to put the floor down ....nonthing is sqishing, I think the rug held it suspended in it...not tons of water underneath the rug...:)

3. Jul 12, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    B&B Happy goats

Morning BYH , hope everyone is going to be on the dry side of the weather (other than those that need a good rain)....
    Just finished vacume sealing the chickens and getting them into the freezer, now it's off to mud the texture on the walls in the half that I got prepared. And repaint what is ready to paint....probably sounds confusing, lol....but I like getting sections done instead of tearing the room apart an having a big mess to deal with.
    MR MEL , was patrolling the goat area and guarding the ducks and chickens...no racoon took any bait last night ! ....i did move the traps closer to the area he comes in through just to tempt him...brazen critters....
    Leon said Mel only barked once last night........ way to go Mel ! I really think he enjoys being a LGD now, .....he has had his house time to adjust to his new home, he knows he is safe here, no more problems with him going out the gate.....the boy is on a roll. Last night he set off the security lights set up out in goat area , one is towards chickens and rabbits, and the other is further out pointed toward the area the racoon comes in.....it was neat to see him on guard!
    We still have all the chickens this morning and the two chicks, so Mels presence is a success:celebrate

4. Jul 12, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Way to go Mel!! I'll bet it's a good feeling to know ya have him out there on guard!

5. Jul 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    B&B Happy goats

Yes it is :)..... he is at the point that he knows he has a job to do .....and is taking pride in the praise he gets when he goes "on duty and off duty" .......during the day he plays and hangs with the girls, ..and gets a nap on the porch ....and it is awesome that he is keeping the racoon's at a distance.. I am really looking forward to seeing the relationships that he develops with the different critters,. .......... Mel is finally settled into his place, and status with us and the other animals....:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate.................................:flypig

6. Jul 12, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Good boy Mel, deep down he is an LGD by genetics. Knows what he needs to do.

We got our rain last night. Most of the night in fact. I think that is a good time for rain!

7. Jul 12, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

I knew ya could do it Mel!!....:thumbsup
    ....course, Barb, ya deserve alot of credit and your patience has paid off....we knew he looked very comfortable when we were there and such a contented look on his face.....:)

8. Jul 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    B&B Happy goats

Thank you Fred, he is a good boy for sure! ....i am highly amused by the fact that he is sneaking any ducks egg he can find.....cuz there are none in the morning,........... I think he is blaming the racoon :p

9. Jul 12, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Yeah, that's it, the coon got them! Actually it seems that LGDs like eggs. I was told that Merlin would steal any he could get.

10. Jul 12, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    B&B Happy goats

The eggs are a small price to pay for a goods nights rest, ....
    ....with Mel in the back , and Missy n Sophie on the back porch ready to join in any ""barking back up" for Mel.....The three of them are starting to work together :thumbsup......And we have a clean house :celebrate