B&B Happy Goats....journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use Ag Lime in our stalls and it doesn't burn their feet. We have a tarp stretched outside the stalls that they use and we also put lime out there. It neutralizes everything. With our chickens we use wood chips from TSC and that goes in the garden when we clean the coops.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the fall, I pick up bags of leaves that people nicely rake up and leave at the curb. I have piled leaves 2-3 feet deep in the coop and run before. The chickens love it, they scratch the leaves to bits, poop all over them and make a nice crumbly rich compost. Pine shavings, garden trimmings, grass, all make good deep litter.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the fall, I pick up bags of leaves that people nicely rake up and leave at the curb. I have piled leaves 2-3 feet deep in the coop and run before. The chickens love it, they scratch the leaves to bits, poop all over them and make a nice crumbly rich compost. Pine shavings, garden trimmings, grass, all make good deep litter.
Ive done that, too. Chickens were terrified of the leaves. Had to throw them in the coop for a week because the scary leaf monsters were going to eat them.

Last edited:

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
This might be futile, nevertheless here I go... animals shot on safari are used for meat for the hunter's table, the Professional Hunter's (PH) family, and the balance is given to the locals. The hides are salted, the skulls are boiled, in anticipation of a skull mount, and any other body part the hunter wants made into a trophy.

Safari hunting which is highly regulated brings in a lot of money into Africa and that makes the animals valuable instead of being a nuisance that destroys crops.

The person on safari can only specify what type of animal he wants. It is the job of the PH to find the most suitable animal. No reasonable PH will have the shooter kill an animal out of convenience. The PH wants the shooter to have a good target and get the horns/hide/skull that the shooter wants which means it probably isn't the first animal they find. The animals are valuable; they are chosen carefully. Males are the target not females... for obvious reasons.

I'll grant anyone that there are unethical PHs who will allow the shooter kill anything... but if the PH wants to stay in business then he has to treat a safari like a business. You don't kill the seed bull if you want to eat in the future.

Elephants are matriarchal society.

Latest posts