B&B Happy Goats....journal

HomeOnTheRange

Golden Herd Lurker
Reaction score
What type/size of Flemish Giants do you have? How do you keep them? Do they dig much? Just started looking at rabbit breeds...
flemish-giant.jpg

Last edited:

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love bending Leon's mind to new things, my newest project almost promises to put him over the edge ..
Things are finally to the point that we are ready to have a designated garden spot,.... because we don't have tons of land I have chosen out " front yard" as the perfect spot much to his disapproval..." you can't have a vegetable garden in front of the house, nobody does that " , ...
we live on a country road, my neighbors are cows , donkeys, chickens and goats...sure can have a garden whenever I want one, don't care what other people think, lol...
My current plan is to nicely fence in my garden area and make it strong enough for a pig...yep, a pig on the front of the house digging and pooping up a wonderful garden area for next year and adding pork to the freezer...I will put flowers on the side that faces the road, or perhaps add some herbs.....raise the piglet to freezer size ( don't need a huge one like I did years ago ) and have a semi prepared garden area, we will add the compost from the chicken area that has the chicken and rabbit waste....plus when it's time to move the pig from the pen, load up will be much easier being close to the gate and load area.
I have been explaining this project to him for a few weeks as I'm trying to get him to wrap his head around it.... told my neighbor and she laughed for a few minutes and thought it was great, leon is starting to understand the idea.and just shakes his head.......yepper, going to have a real vegetable garden in my future soon and a freezer full of pork ...🤗
Explain for a novice? Pig wire isn't cheap. And the holes are so big that any veggie munching critter can get through. And between spring / summer Gardens and fall Gardens, will you ever be able to grow a pig after this year? Sounds like it could be some pretty expensive pork. Now if you had said you were going to use Electric to keep the pigs in, I would have thought this was a wonderful idea.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
" you can't have a vegetable garden in front of the house, nobody does that " , ...
Oh yeah you can and in actual city neighborhoods too, which doesn't describe your place at all. Next door neighbor (renter) in our prior neighborhood filled the front yard with raised beds. Small lot ~45' wide, 100' deep. The entire front yard wasn't more than 30' wide by 15' deep. He grew an AMAZING amount of veggies in that space.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG1500.jpg
IMG1500.jpg
I like the way you think. I had a garden in my front yard when we lived a few blocks from downtown and city hall--and chickens in the back yard.

When we moved here, we made a garden, which was a dismal failure. Our beach sand had no humus, nutrients and when the sun came out and got serious, the sand heated up and cooked my pitiful plants. We fenced it in and got pigs over the winter. They dug, rooted, ate roots and whatever they dug up, pooped all over it, peed all over it, turned over their water and feed, and had a glorious time.

We raised pork, the pigs got a sand pit on it's way to becoming fertile ground.
We raised
them over the winter, no flies and almost no smell. We took them to slaughter in March. I ran the tractor around and around, filled in the pits they dug and got it ready for planting.

Here are some pictures of my garden in Livingston.

This is my green bean garden by the driveway. It was 1 foot wide and 12 feet long.

IMG219.jpg

The PVC frame in the background was my redneck greenhouse. I wrapped in plastic, with duct tape and raised tomatoes and peppers all winter.

IMG1040.jpg

IMG1500.jpg