B&B Happy Goats....journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mmm, my Florida raised mother would love to...help you with your gators. She moved to Ohio and was introduced to the tasty world of alligator at a county fair. I'm sure collecting alligators is illegal in Florida though or there wouldn't be any left based on how yummy she seems to think they are, but you know, maybe if more people just bit them back they'd be less of a pest...or extinct where people live is more likely.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
As we watched the new last night it was mentioned that we are not only fighting a pandemic in this country...we are fighting stupidity....ain't THAT the truth !....as uncomfortable as wearing a mask is, it's pretty darn simple, ...if you are going out in public, protect yourself if not others ...and wear a darn mask....or better yet...just stay home if possible.... :rolleyes: ....
Girl - you are right about that! I remember back when this started some folks were calling it "population control." Well guess what? I believe it now, lol. The population that won't protect themselves are definitely at risk of being "controlled" by being the ones that contract this virus. Oops - can't fix stupid!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gosh, what sensible advice you folks have posted regarding the virus and how to address it! I just posted on Miss @Ridgetop's journal where I asked her what she would do (see https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/ridgetop-our-place-and-how-we-muddle-along.38119/post-655071). But if it is OK with you, Miss @B&B Happy goats, I will ask you and others what you folks would recommend to our elected officials and to the general population. And as I asked Miss Ridgetop, so I ask each of you, please, no name-calling.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I see so many folks who think that just because somebody told them to wear a mask that it's taking away their freedom. WTH? Guess what? We generally don't allow people to harm other people. It's part of our laws and part of most folks moral code. We don't let people go around throwing acid into someone's face, we don't allow folks to shoot each other, or stab, or run people over with a vehicle. Why?
Because it's just not right.

So, why should anyone think it's a violation of their rights to do the right thing? Some of these folks are on this forum and other forums, some are in my own town, and some are my neighbors. Some of these folks are bible carrying, church attending folks. Some of these are people who would bend over backwards to help someone, even a total stranger. All around good folks, but they won't wear a mask to help people, and themselves? I just don't get it. It's not a big hairy freakin' deal people!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the arguments for not wearing masks that I have heard is that there is no evidence that they are effective. Last week I read a brief put out by UC Davis that said that masks are 65% effective in reducing risk for both the wearer and those around. I would prefer 100% but I'll take that 65%. I never griped about having to wear a motorcycle helmet in spite of the studies that said they only increased your chances of surviving a crash by 37%.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I grew up camping and trail riding on motorcycles. I remember two specific incidents that made me never question wearing a helmet.

First one - my dad was riding down a narrow trail - in the lead - when he didn't duck low enough going under a tree branch. It caught him under the neck and flipped him right off the back of his bike. He landed on his back and his head hit a tree root. That impact put a split in his helmet - but he walked away laughing.

Second - neighbor started a cross country trip with a couple of his buddies. He had just left his house and was on I-10 in Baytown going to meet his friends. A semi-driver ran into him from behind...maybe asleep..who knows. He went down and somehow was on top of the bike which was stuck under the truck - still barreling down the interstate. His head was hanging off and rubbing on the asphalt. His helmet was worn completely through the outer shell by the time the truck stopped. But, his head was intact. He didn't exactly walk away laughing like my dad did - but he was alive. Massive areas of road rash and a pretty serious muffler burn, but he recovered.

I have a mask with a hepa filter. It's hot and quite honestly I don't enjoy wearing it. But, if it gives 65% protection to myself and others - I'll take it! More importantly we take care of DH's 89yo mother. We take as many precautions as we can to keep her safe.