B&B Happy Goats....journal

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just went and checked on her doe again...she isn't looking very well, scours and has a bad smell that's gotten worse since this morning....I just need to shut my mouth and tend to my own animals, we go through this every year with kids there...Cleaning animals housing is not that hard :barnie:he
with that many kids did they treat her for possible ketosis?

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Had a long talk with neighbor about the doe and the orphaned kids, two of the kids are coming to our house and that will lessen the job for her, she wants to keep them for a week or two , then I can sell them for her.....As for the doe, I explained what was going on with her and that if a vet doesn't come then the doe will die within 48 hours...long story short , it pretty much has come down to " the doe's value is not worth the minimum vet fee of $150 for hm to come" ..., so when she goes down I will put her out of her misery,....
My neighbor will be 80 this year, animal births bring her joy and happiness....but after our conversation today she realized it's time to stop breeding animals and just enjoy a few as pets...
.lord I hope she sticks to that thought :bow :fl
:hit

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
with that many kids did they treat her for possible ketosis?
That is what I suspected...she doesn't want to spend money on the vet......today is day two since Tilly gave birth, she is still walking around and eating, no milk .... :idunno ...I can only do what I can, especially when they are not mine :confused:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is what I suspected...she doesn't want to spend money on the vet......today is day two since Tilly gave birth, she is still walking around and eating, no milk .... :idunno ...I can only do what I can, especially when they are not mine :confused:
I'm sure you gave her something like propylene glycol or molasses. you could also try giving her some oral cmpk if you have it. the oral cmpk helps replace some of what they have lost and prevent milk fever you could also even give her some oxytocin that can help clean out and bring on milk

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do it with all my does I give them two CC's oxytocin and I feed 50 to 60 cc's of the oral cmpk once a day for 3 days of course mine are full size goats so you would probably need to adjust the amount of the oral cmpk. they used to call it mfo solution. then at 1 week I worm

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you gave her something like propylene glycol or molasses. you could also try giving her some oral cmpk if you have it. the oral cmpk helps replace some of what they have lost and prevent milk fever you could also even give her some oxytocin that can help clean out and bring on milk
She went dry last kidding and left side clasped and has stayed that way...right side of udder is soft with small tangerine sized squishy tissue...no milk...
We can't get the oxytocin around her for some reason, I gave her all I had to help her, it's the neighbors decision unfortunately...my hands are tied

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She went dry last kidding and left side clasped and has stayed that way...right side of udder is soft with small tangerine sized squishy tissue...no milk...
We can't get the oxytocin around her for some reason, I gave her all I had to help her, it's the neighbors decision unfortunately...my hands are tied
no problem. it sounds more like she had mastitis that went untreated so I'm doubting that oxytocin would do much for her. I am glad you were able to do what you could

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
no problem. it sounds more like she had mastitis that went untreated so I'm doubting that oxytocin would do much for her. I am glad you were able to do what you could
I thought she had mastitis last time, that's why I ended up milking her, but the milk was fine and it's what is being used this season to feed the kids... :idunno ....wish she would have the vet come but that's not going to happen :confused:
Thank you for the information and help :love....and best wishes for a happy doe filled kidding season :hugs :highfive:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I thought she had mastitis last time, that's why I ended up milking her, but the milk was fine and it's what is being used this season to feed the kids... :idunno ....wish she would have the vet come but that's not going to happen :confused:
Thank you for the information and help :love....and best wishes for a happy doe filled kidding season :hugs :highfive:
thanks. we all do what we can. I will be headed home soon I hope that dragonfly if she had her kids today had an okay time of it did not technically do till the weekend so I hope she waited. she likes to do it on her own though and now that she's not having quads anymore I'm okay with that

Latest posts