B&B Happy Goats....journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mangalitsa hogs are a primitive breed, hence the stripes.

Barb, I’ve eaten feral hogs, right out of the woods. Young ones make good pork. Don’t worry about the taste of yours. With the good feed they have had, they will be tasty. Ok you got took this time, but now you know better and it won’t happen again. We all have our hard earned wisdom. Think of it this way, they worked all winter tilling up your garden, eating roots and weeds. They fertilized the garden for you. You will reap rewards that are not just the meat.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We spent yesterday under tornado watch and had some pretty severe thunderstorms in the early evening, no internet but power held on for us :highfive:
Mid afternoon I got a text that the grandmother and the austic boy were making the four and a half hour drive here to meet their puppy I picked for him. When they arrived I met them out on the front porch with his puppy, it was instant love for the boy and the puppy, that five week old puppy started licking his face and us adults fought back tears. This young man is quiet and seldom talks, very shy and has a fear of being alone, his grandmother has to sleep in his room at night and stay in the bathroom when he showers, the boy is 14...
So after a few minutes I told him to take the puppy in his arms and go for a walk out front and talk to his puppy so they could bond a little , and we would be right here watching him....later we went to the back porch and sat , and his grandmother said that he was having dreams of sitting in the big play box with all the puppies...the box is 8x8x4 feet high with two locks on it (another fear ) ..but he easily went in and sat down in the middle of the puppies and started a smile that wouldn't stop, we quietly moved to the table and sat while he was enjoying himself and lots of puppy breath...after about ten minutes we could hear him talking and carrying on a conversation with the puppies and tears started flowing for all of us adults., grandma just about sobbed as she was shocked that he opened up and was carrying on a conversation with full sentences...more tissues were being handed out and the guys went to the barn as they were tearing up also...they stayed for several hours and he fed the puppies, helped clean them up and kept on talking and talking to his new best friend " Buddy"..this puppy is Mr Chill just like his mom, a excellent PTSD dog who senses fear, stress and immediately comes to take it away and comfort...after over a hour with the pups he joined us and started playing with my four other dogs who were all over him like white on rice lol, I am so impressed how my dogs responded to him, they were kind and in tune with him the entire time...then more " magic" happened, he actually went outside alone with them ( he never leaves his grandmothers sight) we watched as he stayed where he could see us for a while, then disappeared out front and was laughing and running and playing like a " normal" kid...OMG, tears again.....
To say that yesterday was special is a gross understatement... it was just magical to watch him come out of his world and start to feel secure enough to open up and communicate his love of Buddy, to run and play alone out of sight with the dogs, ...
This experience has made me even more committed to placing these puppies and future litters into purposeful homes where they are needed, where both the pup and the human can grow and each achieve their best potential.....I am humbled beyond words :love
That’s so amazing. Reading this brought tears to my eyes. How’s Buddy and his boy doing?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
SOOOO glad to hear the update on Buddy and "his buddy".... so glad that it is helping this young boy achieve some potential that he might not have without the "support" the dogs can give and the interaction he has with them. I am glad that Lilly is adjusting, it is a hard thing to have had to readjust a few times... when you got her back after that not so good placement, I was really glad for you and her. And I think that you had some serious thoughts before you decided to find her a new forever home.... but she will be better off in the long run to be somewhere that she is an asset to the family in companionship as she was unable to be a breeder for you. And having her pup for some extra companionship... even though I am sure she would like a break from her kid just like we all have in the past....:rolleyes::th:bow:D No matter how much you love your kid.... even animals get tired of their off spring time to time..... And the puppy will grow up and then be more of a companion to both.
I applaud the obviously difficult decisions you had to make....

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Crazy day here lol, I had some people come to buy 17 jersey giant chickens, as they were stopped and ready to turn into my driveway all of a sudden I heard tires screeching then BANG...OF course I was standing there and saw the whole thing, both cars are totaled, the two children under 4 years old were ok ...but the parents were both having neck issues and the man that hit them had a bloody face and some pretty mean cuts....nobody's air bag worked !....so two fire trucks, ambulance, sheriff's and FHP were all over the place as I was trying to calm the kids....everyone is alive, and afterwards they still wanted the darn birds, lol.....so their frame was ok to drive, loaded up the birds and off they went to drive a hour away in their busted up vehicle to drop off the birds then go to the hospital....oh the peace of country living lol...?

Last edited: