Babies might come early -- Updated - MORE pics

farmin'chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My Nigerian Dwarf nannies were bred at the earliest 2/28 according to their former owner. The tail ligaments are softening and the bags are filling up -- even though that breeding date would make 'em due around 7/28 if they go full term.

Since one nanny had 3 last year and the other had 6 (! Yes, six!) I'm a little concerned about their size, strength and development should they come early.

My chicken says 7/14 -- Any special preparations I need to make for the babies? For the mommies?

Thanks.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I've had triplets born 3 weeks early here. They required force feeding for the first week but did make it.

farmin'chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Did all six survive -- Yes. They told me they almost lost the doe, but the babies lived. I might have hesitated to breed her again, knowing that, but they did it anyway.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't remember you telling me your girls were pregnant! Maybe you did. I don't remember a lot these days. You should be seeing something by now! Tell Us! :barnie

Chris

farmin'chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Tada!!!! One of my girls (Abby) had them a week early -- she had six last year, 5 the year before, 4 the year before -- this time...ONLY TWO! Yippee! I'm not sure she would have made it with more. She labored 1/2 hour with the first, and 3 more hours with the second, and another hour with the afterbirth...Of course, as soon as I phoned the vet on the 2nd one, she popped it out.

Here they are:

693_abby_nightfall_fawn.jpg

Aren't they gorgeous? Nightfall weighs about 3 pounds, Fawn about 5.

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awwwwwww they are beautiful, and I love their names. I'm glad everything was OK and you didn't have 5 or 6 preemie kids :love:love