image.jpeg
Color?
image.jpeg
Pile o' baby buns
image.jpeg
Dad
image.jpeg
Mom

Here are my LionLop week old buns! First litter for me and my Holland Lop doe. She did amazing and I certainly didn't expect her to be such a wonderful mother, have 5 normal live kits and all born in the nesting box!!! Yay!! I bred her to our adorable tiny lionhead buck. She is black. He is a pointed white I believe? I'm posting pics of both of them. 1 baby is black (easy to know lol) I believe 2 will be white maybe REW ?? ( I'm so new to all the coloring so please correct me so I can learn!) and the other 2 are a silver color and look like they will be pointed? These are the ones I'm most curious about... What color do you think they will be?? Thanks in advance!!!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on a good first litter!

In that picture, it looks like your buck has dark eyes - I believe he is a Sable Point (Pointed Whites have pink eyes). Silvery and shaded babies from such a cross will be Smoke Pearl or Pearl Points. Brownish shading would be a Siamese Sable or Sable Point.

DuckyLou

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you Bunnylady! So i have a question... the buck has a red tint to his eyes, sometimes you see it sometimes you dont, so would that still be considered dark eyes?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a pink eye.
2482843847_89d2937953.jpg

If your buck's eyes are any other color, he is not a pointed white.

The red tint you are describing is sometimes referred to as a "ruby glow," there are several different genes that can cause that effect in colored rabbit eyes.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the new liter.

DuckyLou

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Eyes are opening! And the 2 white kits have red eyes! I'm surprised that I got red eyes out of this mix!!?? Maybe I shouldn't be surprised?? lol I'm just learning! I have to say I was hoping they wouldn't be red, seems to scare off some people....
So would they be considered REW's?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most likely yes, they are REW's, though I would watch for hints of color on the tail and/or ear tips; there is still a chance they could be pointed whites.

I've seen this sort of thing happen too many times to be surprised, but then, I know rabbit color genetics pretty well. Just looking at his color, I know that your buck has a REW gene; whether your doe does or not was the only question. Since you had babies with white coats, I knew they'd have red eyes, the only question is whether they will have completely white coats or whether the gene the doe is carrying is actually the gene for pointed white rather than REW.

DuckyLou

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! So very interesting! Having someone experienced explaining color genetics is much easier to understand rather than reading about it, thank you so much @Bunnylady