Baby bunny Pics!! Help with colors!?

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, I don't know squat about colors and what not, but I do know you got a bunch of cute little ones. Congrats!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
With my French Lops I bred my broken cream to my broken Squirrel (blue chin) and I got two REWs and a Squirrel... Neither had REW in the pedigree so I think it is more common in shaded, recessive or dilute colors crossing. Although Chestnut to Chinchilla has produced REW in many Lops as well.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a bunch of genes that work together to produce rabbit colors, but Shaded, Pointed White (Himalayan), Chinchilla and REW all happen in the same place. The place in the rabbit genetic makeup where these genes occur is called the C locus, and they are known as the C-series. All rabbits have two C-genes, one they inherited from their mother, and one from the father. The most dominant gene in the series is the full color gene (C), the most recessive is the REW gene (c); chinchilla (cchd), shaded (cchl)and himi (ch) fall in between those extremes. They interact in rather strange ways - though the most dominant one is what you see, just how it looks depends on what it is paired with. Take the shaded gene, for example. Two copies of shaded (cchlcchl) is what is called a Seal - so dark brown it almost looks black, and even darker on the points. One copy of shaded, and one of Pointed White (cchlch) is a siamese sable. One copy of shaded, and one of REW (cchlc) is also a siamese sable, but the color on the body is a good bit lighter than that of the siamese sable with the Himi (Pointed White) gene.

This buck is a Sable Point - that's like a Siamese Sable plus Tort. His body is very light; nearly white in color. He had to have a shaded gene to be a Sable Point, and to have virtually no shading on his body at all, he had to have a REW gene rather than a Himi gene as the other member of the pair. Just because he's a Sable Point, you know he must have either a REW or Pointed White gene (he couldn't be a Sable Point if he didn't have one or the other), because his body color is so light, you can be pretty sure that it's a REW gene.

DuckyLou

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow :bow Please don't ever leave us @Bunnylady !! I am totally impressed! Thank you so much for explaining that!
I have bred him to a black Lionhead to get purebred babies this go around. She has a beautiful full skirt and her skirt looks blue... I'm anxious to see what comes of this pure batch of babies. Hopefully they will live, it will be her first litter so I'm not holding my breath. :\

DuckyLou

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
MORE QUESTIONS! :idunno Here are my 2 pointed somethings..... I don't know what to call them! Lol anyway they both have gorgeous blue eyes (they don't show up in the pictures) , will they stay that blue or is this just because they are babies and they will they change?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
a blue grey eye is acceptable in certain varieties. Bright blue is from the vienna gene. (Look up a blue eyed white for an example )

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those babies are genetic dilutes (most likely Smoke Pearls). Dilute colors have blue-gray eyes. There is a gene that allows dilutes to have brown eyes, but that is a DQ. I have seen brown eyes on Blues and Blue Torts (mostly in Holland Lops), but I have never seen that happen in a shaded color like Smoke Pearl.