Baby goat eating odd stuff?

Kris5902

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I picked up an orphan feral goat ~1 week old now we guess. Have her on a bottle feeding schedule m, but she’s chewing everything, but ignoring the hay I’ve offered her. She is trying to eat my cats food, every little bit of plastic she can chew, and is now after licking my lasagna plate. Any ideas? Thoughts. I just got her a mineral lick, and will be borrowing some decent (better quality) hay and maybe alfalfa in The next day or two. I admit the hay I have offered is barely sub par at best, almost straw essentially. Please remember this is a feral kid, maybe a small twin? And an orphan, on a lamb milk replacer currently

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Baby goats are like toddlers, putting everything in their mouth. At 1 week, the kid should only be getting milk. My 5 day old Nigerian is nibbling on everything, but not eating it.
How much does the kid weigh? Could it be older than 1 week?

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also, I know she’s young, but do you have a mineral block out for her? My friends sheep was eating everything, including wood and paint and then I found out she didn’t have any salt out for them. The eating stopped after that,

Kris5902

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a salt and mineral lick for her, she is now eating a tiny bit of alfalfa and goat ration, still going for my catfood and anything we are eating. She is also taking had fed organic salad greens (not the spinach or chard) I am thinking she is a little older than we initially thought. Around 8-10lbs? A feral mixed breed of meat and dairy stock that has been evolving into a local population over a few hundred years here