Baby Goat got Head Stuck in the Fence

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes! Thanks so much. I guess goats just like to get themselves into trouble! I will be looking at some hot wire to put on my fence soon.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in CA where summers are hot my friends have had goats die by getting heads stuck in fences or feeders. The hot wire around the inside works great on fences. I put it at baby goat head height which is about adult goat knee height. No heads in those fences. The 2x4 welded no climb would work...maybe. My goats would stand on it and simply break it, hence the hot wire. I have 2x4 woven no climb and when the fence if off they will "climb" it looking for branches. The wire doesn't break but the welded sure would. My hot wire saves a lot of fences.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had an adult ewe, no horns, get her head stuck in iron gate with vertical bars, it used to be railing for a deck. No bolt cutters would work on that, I'd have to call the fire department to slowly saw the bar out...
Luckily, after a lot of shoving, turning, repositioning her head and body, I eventually found the right mix and got her free...I had to shove her lower jaw back and turn her head 90 degrees and then tilt her nose to do it.

I chose naturally polled animals because of the fact that horned beasts love to get stuck.

Had a lamb get stuck, too. He is polled, but his ear tag got in the way when he tried to back out. That and he had knelt down low to shove his head through a tiny hole...

My horse went through (not over) 6 lines of barbed wire, unharmed. Had to cut it down to get him back. It makes no sense as to the why and the how...

If an animal can get stuck, hung up or injured on it, then they will do so in time!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had an adult ewe, no horns, get her head stuck in iron gate with vertical bars, it used to be railing for a deck. No bolt cutters would work on that, I'd have to call the fire department to slowly saw the bar out...
Luckily, after a lot of shoving, turning, repositioning her head and body, I eventually found the right mix and got her free...I had to shove her lower jaw back and turn her head 90 degrees and then tilt her nose to do it.

I chose naturally polled animals because of the fact that horned beasts love to get stuck.

Had a lamb get stuck, too. He is polled, but his ear tag got in the way when he tried to back out. That and he had knelt down low to shove his head through a tiny hole...

My horse went through (not over) 6 lines of barbed wire, unharmed. Had to cut it down to get him back. It makes no sense as to the why and the how...

If an animal can get stuck, hung up or injured on it, then they will do so in time!
I'm shocked you didn't have to get some OB lube! :eek: :lol:

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a doeling get her head stuck in a PVC feeder. I have no idea how she got it in there, or how she didn't suffocate before I found her. She was making this muffled maaaaaa and I couldn't figure out where in the WORLD that sound was coming from.

Had to go drag an extension cord and hook up the saw, and VERY CAREFULLY cut her head out. It was nerve racking.

A few years back we had a mare flip in her stall, and embeded herself in one of the vertical bars that separates her from the horse next to her. Six people picked her up while she calmly waited for help. We pried her off and doctored her back up. No one saw her to it, we found her hanging after the owner went to get tack. 2 minutes tops.

Let's not forget the time my mustang mare tried to go through a pipe fence and got stuck in it. IN it.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When there is a will there is a way and believe me they will. Animals excel at making us shake our heads in wonder.