Baby goat has lice

Kris5902

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I rescued a feral goat baby about 8-9 days ago and have been monitoring her for pests, expecting to find some based on the wild nature of her origin. Today I found nits and finally saw some adult lice as well. I’m in Canada, so my treatment options are extremely limited. I have some revolution cat flea meds and some pour on cattle ivermectin available. I don’t have access to a vet or the couple hundred bucks to burn on a feral adoptee. Most TSC dusts, etc are not available here
E0FFADE0-7C5B-4410-9DF5-52CA6543B44F.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Injectable is different from pour on. I give injectable orally but, not pour on. Call the maker and ask. It is a product used to rid lice on some animals. If it were mine, I would put on rubber gloves and wet a rag, wipe onto skin at infestation. But that's just what I would do! Not telling you what or how to do. :idunno

Do you have any seven dust -- like for garden?

Last edited:

Kris5902

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Injectable is different from pour on. I give injectable orally but, not pour on. Call the maker and ask. It is a product used to rid lice on some animals. If it were mine, I would put on rubber gloves and wet a rag, wipe onto skin at infestation. But that's just what I would do! Not telling you what or how to do. :idunno

Do you have any seven dust -- like for garden?

Seven dust is Not available here, unfortunately. I have used this (cattle pour on) on my chickens (at a much lower dose) and it knocks out lice and mites (even SLM) on them very well. It’s something you basically drizzle along your cattle’s spine in large amounts. For chickens I apply a few drops on the back of their neck directly to the skin. I was thinking it would be a similar application, as the goat is far easier to handle than our beef cattle, and much closer in size to the chickens right now. I don’t have access to the injectable, and many of these common pesticides, wormers, and veterinary antibiotics (eg. fish mox) are now severely restricted and require a prescription. This is some leftovers from right before the new regs came into place I can scavenge. It’s that or the human lice killing shampoo, although water use is an issue here as well.

edit to add: It’s a systemic transdermal pesticide. So it is absorbed through the skin and remains in the animals system for several weeks. I was thinking of doing two doses to kill the lice, and the newly hatched ones 12 days later. From what I’ve read it looks like most goat lice have a 10-14 day lifecycle.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
edit to add: It’s a systemic transdermal pesticide. So it is absorbed through the skin and remains in the animals system for several weeks. I was thinking of doing two doses to kill the lice, and the newly hatched ones 12 days later. From what I’ve read it looks like most goat lice have a 10-14 day lifecycle
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Latest posts