Baby Goat Palooza..

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We went on vacation last week to get ready for birthing season which was supposed to start on Monday. Well the girls just refused to wait. Last Wednesday Frodo (yes my boys got to name her) had twins a little girl and a big boy. We let our pet sitter name the girl Lilly. The little boy we named Boodles. Lilly was smallish and her front elbows are turned out slightly but she is a happy bouncing little girl. On Friday, Merry, (our queen of the herd, had triplets 2 girls and a boy. One of the girls is a big solid young lady and the other girl and boy are smaller. I had our pet sitter bottle feed them to supplement as Merry was completely wiped out and is looking thin as a bone. She is doing better now and is back on her hay and grain and the babies are nursing but I am going to supplement with a couple of bottles per day until the little ones fill out a bit. As we were driving home yesterday, Maddy, our little first freshener, had a beautiful bouncing baby boy, making the score even at 3 boys and 3 girls. Maddy and her little son, who I am naming Buster, are doing great. Merry and the triplets had to move out of the nursery into the main barn with Frodo and the twins after Maddy gave birth, and there has been some head butting incidents, but I think things are settling down a bit. Maddy and Buster are in the nursery for another day and then everybody will be together, except for Bochey, the father of this herd of bouncing babies, who has been relegated to the bachelors' quarters until the ladies are ready to breed again in the Fall. I will post pictures once everybody is ready to come out into the sunshine, if it ever shines again.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, what a great way to start the year! Congrats on all the bouncing babies. Now that's the way to grow your herd! Glad to see you posting again and allow me to encourage you to post pictures as soon as you can. You know what picture fiends we are.

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are some pics
20170205_101442.jpg

Maddy and her little boy.
20170205_072646.jpg

Lilly, she's Frodo's little girl and here is Boodles, her twin brother
20170205_072708.jpg

And finally Merry and her triplets. The big Brown one and the little black one are the dwellings and the little brown one is the buckling
20170205_092610.jpg
20170205_074440.jpg

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So Lilly has turned out front knees (or elbows) and walks a bit gingerly but is able to bounce around and seems fine. Should I be at all concerned or just wait until she gets a little bigger. She's the one with the white face, you can see it in the picture with the triplets.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Been a long while since you've been here. Glad everything went smoothly.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a close up pic of the legs in question? is she steady on them or wobbly?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are bouncing around I tend to not worry
Kicking out the elbows isn't anything to worry about unless you are showing
Judges call that a 'weak front end'
I have an otherwise nice doe with that weakness

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have no interest in showing her but we do plan on breeding her if it isn't a big issue. I love her coloring and she is super sweet. Here mom is a great mother and produces lots of milk. Her twin brother has no issues so I am thinking it probably was a development issue in the womb as opposed to a genetic problem.