Baby goat seems double jointed....need advice

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought goats June 2021 and I have had my first batch of kids born yesterday! This isn't the mommy's first time, but it was mine. Unfortunately, I was on a plane heading home when I found out.

Now, my sister and brother took care of everything and they called a friend of mine to come by and check on them (she has had goats for years).

The second one born didn't get up as readily as the first, but he did try. My friend worked with him and said she felt his hips pop into joint. Now, his back legs seem double jointed and he can't control them. Every time I come out, I help him stand and nurse (not sure if he is doing it on his own or not, just as a precaution).

Should I try splinting his legs? If so, what would be the best way? Oh, I did have my sister and friend give him some selenium/vit E.

His brother seems fine and has been bouncing around.

Thank you for any tips.

Attachments

• 20230212_100731.jpg
    20230212_100731.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 75

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's always a bit disconcerting to see joints bending in the wrong direction. I've had that happen a couple times. In almost all cases they will strengthen up and start working correctly in a few days. No need to splint them. I did have one that was really bad and I used a little vet wrap just as some support for 48 hours. A week later you couldn't tell at all. Sounds like you're doing the right thing by helping him nurse until you're sure he can manage on his own.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that you are in an area that is low in selenium like we are here in Va... the sel/vit E will help but it will take a few days. Helping him to nurse to make sure he gets a full tummy is the biggest thing. I am not a goat person, but we have some sheep and only on a rare occasion did we splint. If you do not see an improvement you could try the vet wrap for a few days... but moving and flexing that joint will help to strengthen the muscles and tendons and ligaments.
Congrats on the new babies.

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay, thank you! This a first time having babies, and I wanted to make sure I was doing everything necessary before considering going to a vet.

He is such a sweet baby and he is very alert. He does try to get up on his own and when he fails, he makes little grunts of frustration. His brother is bouncing around everywhere, which I am thankful for. I think I would be more stressed out if they both had the same issue.

The Selenium/Vit E recommends only giving it every 30 days. Would you recommend following that protocol, or should I give a little more in a couple of days? I was going to wait 30 days to make sure to not overdo....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not give it more before 2 weeks....it has to be absorbed and then work it's way through the system to be incorporated into the muscle tissue....and then I would give a 1/2 dose...... if you have a relationship with a vet, call them on Monday and see if they have any other recommendations. You might try a little vet wrap during the day so he might get up and then undoing it at night so he can flex and move them also... but give him another day or 2... if he is trying then he is exercising them and they should get stronger.... as long as the momma is tolerating him and letting him eat with your help, that is the best thing....

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would not give it more before 2 weeks....it has to be absorbed and then work it's way through the system to be incorporated into the muscle tissue....and then I would give a 1/2 dose...... if you have a relationship with a vet, call them on Monday and see if they have any other recommendations. You might try a little vet wrap during the day so he might get up and then undoing it at night so he can flex and move them also... but give him another day or 2... if he is trying then he is exercising them and they should get stronger.... as long as the momma is tolerating him and letting him eat with your help, that is the best thing....
Okay, I will continue with what I am doing and see how he does. Thank you!

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures of them:love I already love them so much!!

Attachments

• 20230212_122332.jpg
    20230212_122332.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230212_124758.jpg
    20230212_124758.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230212_124825.jpg
    20230212_124825.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 71

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Interesting fact for y’all: babies of all breeds and types, etc. are born with loose tendons and ligaments, including human children! This is something I learned from a vet by the way. When people are extra flexible it means their tendons and ligaments didn’t harden properly as they grew older (that’s why babies can touch their toes to their head comfortably as we’re changing their diaper) same thing applies to baby animals. His tendons and ligaments will harden with time and he’ll grow up healthy.

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Interesting fact for y’all: babies of all breeds and types, etc. are born with loose tendons and ligaments, including human children! This is something I learned from a vet by the way. When people are extra flexible it means their tendons and ligaments didn’t harden properly as they grew older (that’s why babies can touch their toes to their head comfortably as we’re changing their diaper) same thing applies to baby animals. His tendons and ligaments will harden with time and he’ll grow up healthy.
That is interesting. I hope his will. It's only been under 48 hours, but I keep hoping to go out and find them correctly positioned.

Latest posts