Baby goat with diarrhea

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello!

On Monday we went and picked up our second baby goat. He's a 10 week old fainting goat. The previous owner only has 3 goats and this litter was unexpected. The owner only fed them hay and let them eat out in the field. Today the baby goat started having diarrhea. Do you think it could be from starting him on the goat pellets? The owner said he was weened but I can't see that he was completely if he was still with his mom. He's still eating and drinking normally. Is there anything else that could cause this?

He also has not been seen by a vet. The owner said he has never had a vet over either. So we will be having a vet come next week to check him out.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow to goats, sorry to hear you are having problems. Are you able to take his temp and make sure he isn't running a temp. Might need to have a fecal run on him too to see if he has a parasite issue since he was just brought to your house from another place- stress can cause issues.

@Goat Whisperer @OneFineAcre @babsbag @Pearce Pastures @Southern by choice might be able to give you some more insight

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could just be the change in diet

It could be simply the change and relocation
"Shipping fever" can cause scouring
Check temp

It could be coccidiosis a change can cause a bloom

It could be worms

If you can get dimethox wouldn't hurt to give for the coccidia
Best to get a fecal to check for that and worms

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping it's just due to stress and his diet change. The soonest the vet can come is next week. Can I give him Corid in case it is Cocci? That's the water soluble medication I give my chickens for it.

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cute lil buggers.
If it were me I would not make feed changes until after he is settled in. Then very slowly introduce what you intend to feed.
Moving a kid to a new home is a pretty drastic change for a kid. Stress of leaving home and mom can dampen his immunity and this in turn allows cocci and other parasites to suddenly flourish.
I would see about getting some probiotics for goats into him and keep a close eye on him and watch out for dehydration. And make sure the little guys is eating.
It wouldn't hurt to take his temp. daily until he is acting normal again. Check his eyelids for color as well. Note all this so youll have it for your vet.
Given the circumstances a complete checkup with a fecal would be a great idea and possibly save you hundreds of dollars later.
Also a word of caution. Make sure the feed you choose is balanced correctly for goats. I learned the hard way about urinary stones.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping it's just due to stress and his diet change. The soonest the vet can come is next week. Can I give him Corid in case it is Cocci? That's the water soluble medication I give my chickens for it.
Yes you could treat with Corrid
Can you check temp?

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't currently have a thermometer. Do they sell them at Tractor Supply?

Sage Albright

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So the morning after posting this our baby goat was back to normal. I called the vet and he said it was probably due to giving him feed since he never had it before. I'm so relieved. I'm still keeping a close eye on him just to make sure everything else seems normal.

Latest posts