Baby goats not getting along

Jane820

Just born
Reaction score
First time goat owner here. We wanted a few does, so yesterday we got two six week old saanen-Nigerian mix sisters. We just got a 4 week old nigerian doe today.

We have big pens made of big wire dog crates set up in the garage until they are fully weaned and it’s a big warmer outside.

One of the sisters does just fine with the new one but the other tries to head butt her. Since they do have horns, we are worried about the little one being injured, so they are are in separate pens next to each other. Is this the right approach? Will they get used to each other? Should we be looking for another single doeling to be friends with the little one or a wether when the doeling gets a bit older? I know they are herd animals and don’t want the little one to be rejected from the herd.

Raven_noir

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First time goat owner here. We wanted a few does, so yesterday we got two six week old saanen-Nigerian mix sisters. We just got a 4 week old nigerian doe today.

We have big pens made of big wire dog crates set up in the garage until they are fully weaned and it’s a big warmer outside.

One of the sisters does just fine with the new one but the other tries to head butt her. Since they do have horns, we are worried about the little one being injured, so they are are in separate pens next to each other. Is this the right approach? Will they get used to each other? Should we be looking for another single doeling to be friends with the little one or a wether when the doeling gets a bit older? I know they are herd animals and don’t want the little one to be rejected from the herd.
If you have the space and the money, I would get a friend for the little one. Maybe give it a few weeks with them separated but together and see if they slowly start to get along. Don’t take my advice if you don’t feel it right because I do not want to be responsible for any injuries…

Jane820

Just born
Reaction score
I’ll look for a friend then. They way they are set up right now they share a cage wall so they can touch each other with their faces without actually getting their head through. I will make sure there are no injuries. I think I’m probably just extra nervous since this is so new to me. Do you think I should let the nice sister be with the little one for a couple hours each day so the little one isn’t always by herself?

Raven_noir

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’ll look for a friend then. They way they are set up right now they share a cage wall so they can touch each other with their faces without actually getting their head through. I will make sure there are no injuries. I think I’m probably just extra nervous since this is so new to me. Do you think I should let the nice sister be with the little one for a couple hours each day so the little one isn’t always by herself?
That doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I personally would let the nice sister stay with the little one ,if, she won’t try to hurt her. There’s nothing wrong with letting them all together for like 10 minutes a day and standing and watching to make sure there’s no injuries but obviously you probably don’t want to do that.