Baby kid pneumonia?

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a month old baby buckling. He is kind of thin. Sometimes he is breathing funny, like he has something in his lungs. His temperature is 105.2. He was shivering a little last night and sometimes he will hunch over a little. He still is occasionally active and when we brought him up to the house to check his temp he walked around and didn't like being away from his mother and fellow goats. He gave him a little Nutri drench and vet rx. He has no nasal discharge. I don't like giving medication if I don't have to but if its necessary I will definitely try.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
A shot of penicillin or tetracycline if mine. They go down fast! Don't delay treatment or you'll lose him. Will need meds more than once. You're having a really tough year! Call your vet.

Does he have diarrhea? This is an age when coccidia is rampant. Call your vet.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No, he does not have any any sign of scours.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Right now we are watching him closely. So far he is active and his temperature was going down on Sunday. He eats and walks around. Only a small cough every now and then. No nasal discharge no scours. So far we have not given any meds. We have penicillin G on hand. How much would you suggest to give him, according to the weight tape he is about 27 lbs. Is it okay to give it Sub Q or do you have to give it IM?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
SQ....BUT, if acting well, no temp, could have been a fluke spike. Babies just drop so fast when sick, I'm always concerned of a high temp, esp if it lasts more than 6 hrs. Won't hurt, may help is a better option for ME than "I should have" loss. It's easier to make some judgements calls in person. I would use 2cc personally. Your vet could suggest a different amt. And I don't use meds when I can get by without but, keep things on hand to use selectively as needed to head off herd problems. Easier to doctor one than 30 adults plus babes.

Glad he's improved 🥰

Latest posts