Baby Lamb! Now what?

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A woman who has been buying my goats milk for her baby lamb, just called and asked if I wanted it. She couldn't "do it" anymore! So of course I said "YES!" But now what? I have no idea how to raise a lamb. I think it's a St Croix about 2 weeks old. It's doing great on the goats milk, so that's a bonus. What else do I need to do? Can it live with my dairy goats? AND can it give any diseases to my disease free herd?
I welcome all suggestions!!! :D

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Heehee! Her name is Mary and the sweater is from the previous owner, but oh so cute!

537_lamb.jpg

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Get outta town! That is the CUTEST face!!! :love

I'm going to rescind my previous statement about lamb being delicious.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't feed it goat feed, or goat minerals. There is too much copper and sheep are sensitive to copper. Otherwise pretty much the same as goats

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Oh, dangit Kel, she's ADORABLE...

but I think she'll have to live with your horse.

As far as diseases...IDK? Hopefully some sheep people will chime in.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Oh my dang....is that thing REAL???

So...listen...I think the best thing is....you need to send her on up here to me and let her live w/ my old sheep....OK? ;)

I've had 4 kinds of sheep, not a lot of them (1 or 2 here and there) but always mine have lived w/ our goats. Our current ewe, Pokey...is 10 yrs old, grossly overweight (she eats like a dairy goat) and gets along fine w/ them.

She gets vaccinated w/ the rest of her 'flock'...er...herd.

Sheep can carry CL, but I would *think* she'd be ok unless she was exposed to an open abscess at birth.

How could she let her go....?

*melts*

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok so this is what I now know.... the last owner was feeding her on demand and that was about every 3 hours or less. So no wonder she was out of her mind and sleep deprived. Poor Miss Mary will not get fed like that here. Already she is screaming up a little storm, but I bet she takes a full feeding at 10 pm. ;) Found a feeding schedule on line and it is about the same as a goat.
I guess I will run a complete blood test on her too clarify she is disease free. What about Scrapie? I am still waiting to get the breeders name to see if it was a clean herd. I am so excited and plan to breed her and have more next year! BUT those will be dam raised! ;)

kabri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That is the most adorable lamb! If you can, find out if the mother of the lamb was vaccinated at least with CD&T, if not with 8way before she gave birth. Otherwise, I would hope for the best and as others said, vac her with your goats. Congrats!!!