Baby Nigerian goats! :-)

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Squee! This is such fun! We have two little bucklings. I was finally able to locate a vet in case we run in to problems, but so far, so good! We took everyone's advice and I bought them some sweaters. Because when will you ever have the chance to buy crazy Christmas sweaters for your goats?! We know the dam was current on her CD&T, but we've had her for a couple of months and know that she didn't have it a month before birthing, since we didn't expect that! :) We are setting up our solar panels to run a heat lamp today as the temps are supposed to dip in the next couple of days. We live in Cincinnati, and thankfully we've had a couple of days of good weather. I will keep everyone posted - I truly appreciate all of your comments! And now, I present to you, newborn goats in Christmas sweaters:

Attachments

• 12243466_990897067675_2333293980792219445_n.jpg
    12243466_990897067675_2333293980792219445_n.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 148

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The boys look great! What a lovely surprise for you, and a darling piece of eye candy for us!

Please do keep us posted on their progress, and of course their names. Sit back and enjoy the show. Just wait until those little guys start testing out the springs in their legs.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Precious babies!! Moms gorgeous, too. Congratulations!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love those sweaters; they are adorable little guys. Babies are so fun.

A month before on the CDT is optimal of course, but as long as she has been vaccinated they should be fine until the normal 3 week date for their shots. Depending on what you are going to do with the kids you might think about disbudding them unless they are polled. It looks like mom has horns so maybe you are ok with that but something to think about now rather than later.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They are adorable, and I love the sweaters! Thanks for sharing!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be very careful with a heat lamps. Heat lamps cause a lot of barn fires.
We have just used the clamp on lights from lowes with 150watt or even just a 100 watt incandecent light bulbs, not true heat lamps. I don't really think they are needed. We use zip ties to make sure the light is secure, don't just rely on the clamp, the adults can knock them loose. We put the light up high enough so that when you put your hand below it you can feel the heat.
The temps were in the 20's at night when we did this. Also, if you put a dark colored plastic pan beneath the light, it will hold some of the heat and the babies will snuggle together.

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are so cute! Try to only put sweaters on when they really need it. Most of the time its better to take it off in the day. You don't want them to depend on having extra warmth unless it is bitterly cold. The only time I consider putting coats on them is if its dropping down below freezing. Most of the time if they have their dam, she will keep them warm and they won't need anything else.

Enjoy them! :weee:weee:weee

As the others said, be very careful with the heat lamp! To many think "Barn fire? Pfft that'l never happen to me" but the reality is that it DOES happen!

Latest posts