Baby Nigerian goats! :-)

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If there is a plug, a brief soak in warm water and a gentle massage should help dislodge it. (I used to be a lactation consultant on the side. Amazing how it can come in handy.):D

Be firm but gentle with your grip, remember it's not a garden hose.:plbb It may take a little coaxing to get a flow, but if you start milking twice a day and feeding the babies with bottles, you will probably get much better production. If you use the Pritchard nipples and have any trouble (we did) try the Producer's Pride (3 for 7.99 @ Tractor Supply). They fit into regular baby bottles (you can get at the Dollar Tree), and worked great for us. We had one who just could not latch on (even with his mom).

Also, you can make your own milker fairly cheap if you don't want to do it by hand or your hands are too big. Try this site: http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/85-4/hughlene_dunn/
I'm gonna try and use a hand-held breast pump I have, or maybe just the cheap and easy one on that site! If you want to spend a little more, try: http://www.diymilkingmachine.com/

Be sure and keep us posted. Such lovely babies.:love (Yours too @OneFineAcre !):)

La-Z Hooves Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh, My goodness. this is cuteness overload. :love Enjoy them, they grow too too fast:hit. So what are ya'lls plans now. ya'll gonna keep them or sale. cause disbudding with lil bucks is sooner than later, thats if your plans are for disbudding them. Everyone has their own thoughts about that. My farm disbuds, all because horns are dangerous for them in fences and myself, not wanting to get horned. I'm not as young as I use to be, can't run that fast anymore. :old I'm not that old Yet. But not far from it. :(There is also vaccinations & deworming (don't forget about coccidia prevention) when time comes. Plus if you do keep them, do you keep both as lil bucklings or do ya'll need to wether them? Just some things to think about. Oh yea, don't forget lil Bucklings can be fertile at as young as 7 weeks of age. These are just some things I went through when my does had lil bucklings their last kidding. When they all left with their new loving families; I will admit it, I cried like a little baby. I couldn't help it they were my babies. Well Congratulation on your lil boys in your barn. Hope this helps. Have Fun!!!:frow

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's funny - I have two human boys of my own and you'd think I could think critically about this in regards to goats. o_O It all makes sense! Anyway, we found a local vet that does disbudding and castration. We don't have any equipment or experience in these areas yet and we feel that a vet would be the best option right now. I will be hanging a bucket today - why didn't I think of that! :bow

In case I forgot to mention it, we named the buckling with white on his ears and head Cookie and the mostly black buckling Oreo. Super original, but when you let a 5 year old help you, well...... ;)

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oreo and Cookie ( HAH! :lol: ) are going to be great. I don't remember if anyone warned you, but also be on the look out for a parasite bloom. Directly after birthing does are more succeptable to cocci and worm infestations. :old

I'm sure she will be fine. We need more pictures of those cuties.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Next time we have babies I'm going to try clove oil injections instead of hot-iron disbudding. According to everything I've read, it's a one-shot deal (literally) and 100% effective. The guy we got our boys from disbudded them, and I'm a little concerned with the scurs. Mark says they'll fall off, but I'm not so sure. They're what 3 1/2 mos now?

Also, definitely watch Mama for the parasite bloom. Can't be very pleasant, and of course, she can pass them to Cookie and Orea. Love the names, btw.:D

La-Z Hooves Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Love the names. I have a oreo cookie as well. she's is so spoiled. i can't help it, their are such love bugs. :) Here's a pic of my lil doe; except that she's 1 1/2 yrs. old, & is 2 mos. preg.. now. Oreo is the black & white pinto, she is bred to the black & white cou-clair, he has blue eyes. i can't wait to have some kiddos myself again. Seeing your lil kiddos got my palms itchey again. They are so much fun, don't you just love watching them play. their like popping popcorn hopping around.

Attachments

• 10-10-15 002.jpg
    10-10-15 002.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 127

La-Z Hooves Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@La-Z Hooves Farm, that is a beautiful pair! Can't wait to see their babies. They do look like popcorn popping! It's just like in the cartoons, and I want to add sound effects. BOING! BOING! :plbb
Thank You! Oh & by the way, the sound effects are perfect. LOL :lol: she is due in march 2016. She's my oreo cookie. If I would have seen it when she was lil I would have named her Ms. Ducky. If you look closely on her side there is a duck. you have to look real close, then when you see it, that duck just stands out big time. :oops: oh well next time I'll pay more attention to critters on my critters. :D let me know how long it takes you to find the duck.
I do have 4 more does that are due to kid in jan. 2016 by this same buck.

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm just devastated. I went out to feed the herd this morning and all of our goats are dead. A pit bull was sitting in the middle of the pen. I am just sick.