Baby Nigerians! Also, help!

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hi all! Came out to the barn this morning to two cutie bucklings, still a little damp. I just missed it! My question is about nursing. My nanny has a very low hanging udder and the kids are having a hard time getting a hold of the teat. She won't let me try and help the kids latch. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and try to bottle feed them at this point. It's also a really hot day here and she is just very miserable. I'm just not sure how long to wait and see before I try and bottle feed them. Any advice or tips is most welcome!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 189

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Optimal time for colostrum is the first 6 hours... 12 max.
10% of kids body weight in colostrum is necessary for the good immune support they need.

Whatever you do do it quickly.

If kids cannot get to teat or cannot quite figure it out then milk, bottle feed and you can still keep them with her.

Liz4

Just born
Reaction score
Congratulations!!

I am trying to adopt 2 dwarf goats to raise as pets ...
Anyone have any idea where I can find any within 2 hours of Dubuque IA?.

Liz4

Just born
Reaction score
Trying to find 2 dwarf nigerian goats to raise as pets.

If anyone knows where I can find any within 2 hours of Dubuque IA please let me know!

Thanks

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trying to find 2 dwarf nigerian goats to raise as pets.

If anyone knows where I can find any within 2 hours of Dubuque IA please let me know!

I would post in the buy sell trade forum

You can look up through the registries for a breeder by you or check craigslist.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats Totes! :clap They are beautiful! :love:bow Glad there were no complications. :celebrate If you feel the kids sides and they are "sunken" in, it's a good indication that they have NOT had anything to drink. :barnie If they're filled and round, they've probably worked it out. :drool If you're not sure, best to milk and bottle feed to make certain.

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks all! They seem to understand what needs to be done, it's just hard for them to get to it. My nanny just won't let me touch her. I was able to get some colostrum out, but then then the goats were too tired to drink. It was late by this point, so I'm hoping for the best in the morning. I have another nanny in milk, is there any reason why I could not give them her milk until they get the hang of nursing? Thanks!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The first mothers milk isn't really milk... it's the colostrum that they need. It switches over to pure milk over time after the first bag full or so. So the kids CAN drink from the other mom, but they NEED that colostrum. That has to be the priority on day 1-2.

Latest posts