Baby rabbit hit with a chainsaw!

For the Love of Dirt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My stepdad was cutting some brush and got a baby bunny with his chainsaw! It just got the skin, doesn’t look like it got any deeper that that, but I can’t put him back, because he’s still cutting! The poor guy has cuts on his rump, and his eyes aren’t really open yet. I think it scared him into opening one eye a bit though. What would you do? My mom, an exparamedic, says he needs to be stitched up, but there is only one vet nearby and they don’t see rabbits at all, not even domesticated ones. Help!

Attachments

• AF224D59-8D13-41E3-9171-FED96371EA5F.jpeg
    AF224D59-8D13-41E3-9171-FED96371EA5F.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 2934AC1D-1A41-4532-88BF-D151AEA2E0AC.jpeg
    2934AC1D-1A41-4532-88BF-D151AEA2E0AC.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 50144ACC-1852-4C71-BF71-EE7CF4B8987C.jpeg
    50144ACC-1852-4C71-BF71-EE7CF4B8987C.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 210

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you cleaned the wounds?
It looks pretty bad, the baby will probably go into shock and die. I don't mean to sound harsh :(
I found a baby wild rabbit a few days ago and it was obviously bitten by something...I flushed the wounds and bottle-fed it but it didn't make it through the night. Its wounds weren't half as bad as the baby you found.
If you can't take it to a vet, cleaning/flushing the wounds and keeping the baby warm, dry and fed is the best you can do. If you know how to do sutures, you can do that. You can also use vetbond which is a glue for wounds but you would have to make sure that the wounds are flushed properly first.
I hope it makes it :fl

For the Love of Dirt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We cleaned the wounds and kept antibacterial ointment on them, and he ate great until noon Saturday, but then he started having seizures and passed Saturday afternoon. My mom said it looked like he may have had some internal bleeding that we couldn't see before, as his abdomen near his chest had turned dark. He may have also had a head injury. My stepdad didn't see when it happened (he's kind of a bull in a china shop and doesn't pay attention to detail), but saw him later squirming around in the grass all cut up, so he couldn't give us details on exactly how hard the poor guy was hit. R.I.P. Baby Bunny. I just hope that if there is a nest in the area that momma rabbit has moved any babies she has left so that this won't happen again any time soon...

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
We cleaned the wounds and kept antibacterial ointment on them, and he ate great until noon Saturday, but then he started having seizures and passed Saturday afternoon. My mom said it looked like he may have had some internal bleeding that we couldn't see before, as his abdomen near his chest had turned dark. He may have also had a head injury. My stepdad didn't see when it happened (he's kind of a bull in a china shop and doesn't pay attention to detail), but saw him later squirming around in the grass all cut up, so he couldn't give us details on exactly how hard the poor guy was hit. R.I.P. Baby Bunny. I just hope that if there is a nest in the area that momma rabbit has moved any babies she has left so that this won't happen again any time soon...
I'm sorry to hear that.
You tried and you did your best to keep him alive, you did a good thing :hugs

Latest posts