Baby Rabbit with Popped Eyes

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

1) What type of rabbit , age and weight.
It is a New Zealand x Californian and just over two weeks old. I'm not sure how much it weighs.

2) How long has the rabbit been exhibiting symptoms?
I just noticed this yesterday. Also, I didn't check the kits' eyes closely until now. :/

3) Are other rabbits exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, both of its litter mates look fine. (The mother doe also has a sister we bred and her kits are fine too.)

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Yesterday, I noticed it had a popped eye. The other eye was fine. Now, this morning I checked on it and its other eye is either sunken in or popped.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
(1) Could have popped on wire. But twice in a row?? when the others haven't?
(2) A genetic defect? I don't think it's the buck as we have had at least six other litters from him that were healthy. This is the doe's second litter but her first litter with us.
(3) A disease?

6) What has the rabbit been eating and drinking, if at all.
It seems to still be nursing as it is the same size as the others and its stomach is filled.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Its bottom area doesn't look messy and its fecal matter is normal.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None.

9) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They are on wire and the kits have a nesting box filled with coastal hay and some fur.

I will try to post pictures today or tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help!

DevonW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It can be a whole manor of things ranging from intraocular pressure from something like a head injury (a bit of swelling of the brain can cause it). Or Other possibilities might include retrobulbar abscessation (all though rare in general most cases are in NZW). Sometimes although it may seem odd you'll get a rabbit whose eyes are a bit to big for it's sockets and tend to bulge out which is more common in dwarf breeds.

Latest posts