Baby rabbits dropping like flies!--update-- IT WAS THE HAY!!!!

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My baby rabbits all in one cage with their momma and surrogate to some more. When I bought them there were two does and between them 14 babies. One of the does died within 24 hours of being moved. I think it was the stress and heat. Her babies I put with the other doe since they had been together and the babies were the exact same age. They were a over a week old, nearly two. I have had them two weeks now and about five days ago they started dying. I would find one dead in the morning. That happened twice, and them yesterday they started dropping like flies. I now have four left. :hit They have constant food and water,and free choice hay the surrogate has not rejected them since they are identical in colors and age to her own, and I have seen them all nurse, so I don't think it is that, and they should be eating enough on their own now anyway. I know they are eating well and appear to be healthy and in good shape all the way until they die. I wondered if they were piling on each other so I removed anything they could pile under or in and it is not heat stroke. I am lost as to what it is and what to do about it. Their bowels appear to be okay, maybe a little soft. And it is not just the adoptees dying her babies are, too. All the other rabbits seem to be okay though. I would apperciate any ideas on what it could be. :hu
Thanks
rebecca

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your rabbits dying. :hugs

What about internal parasites? Have you had fecals checked?

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No it has been such a short time that I haven't had anything checked yet. My dh said the same thing. I have dewormer that I can use, but I don't hink that is it because they feel in good shape, not bony or big bellied. I am probably going to deworm tonight anyway.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, a fecal can really help determine what is going on.
Sometimes kits can have a digestive upset which can take them fast. You can get a product called Bene-bac from petsmart or Jefferspet to help. I have found this stuff very helpful and wouldn't be without it.
Also, it could be the feed. I would find a feed with ingredients equivalent to Purina Show Chow(blue bag) and switch over to that.

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wondered about digestive problems too. I will check on the stuff you mentioned. I am now down to 2 left. More than likely it is the digestive problem because it is the only group of kits doing it, the rest are doing very well. Perhaps she hasn't been producing enough milk for their stomachs to develop the flora properly.
Sorry i don't think I described it right in the origional post. I just bought these two does(sisters) and their babies(all the same age), but I have 5 other does with babies, also, and it is just the new ones dying.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How about Cocci? ... it can be brought on by stress and will kill in days, sometimes even hours.

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They haven't had diarhea that I've seen, but it is very possible that i missed it. They were definately stressed when I brought them home. I got some from an auction that had cocci once and they had watery stools. It seems like they are fine then just drop dead. I'll go out and feed and go inside then come back out and one that was just hopping around a little while before will be dead. At one point, I truly thought they were piling and killing the one on bottom. I had caught them doing that, but when they started dying two or three a day I realized that wasn't it. They don't act lethargic, but I did notice one grunting when I picked it up. It is a total mystery to me. I have raised rabbits off and on since I was a kid and this is a first to me for them to just die for no apparent reason.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't know if you have a vet nearby to do a necropsy on one of the babies to find out what was wrong. Hopefully the last 2 will live.

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'll be doggone, since i posted the last time I haven't lost any more!! Yea!!!! It has been two days now, hopefully I am okay. I wonder what the heck it was? I wish I had saved one of them that died, but I am glad it may be over. Maybe it was stress?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that they are doing ok. I know rabbits don't handle stress well. Maybe mom wasn't giving them enough milk or something due to stress. Who knows. Good luck with your little ones. You will have to post some pictures. :D

Latest posts