Baby with broken leg

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all. So I got a call from a farmer yesterday asking if I wanted another baby goat... I have 2 already from him that the mama's rejected. This little boy was butted really hard and his back leg was broken at the knee... I went off and collected him he is about 2 to 3 weeks old so bottle feeding is going to be a challenge... sorted his leg out and tried to get him cleaned up as he was not very clean... the problem is he appears quite bloated... his bones on his bum and back are quite prominent in the sense I can really feel them but cant see them due to long hair but his belly looks quite distended... any advice? Not sure if it is bloat or worms or something else... he has not as yet drunk any milk but is drinking water from his water bowl but his little tummy is very noisy...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give him some baking soda for bloat. Did you set his leg?

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Give him some baking soda for bloat. Did you set his leg?
Ok will do thank you. How much do I give him?... yes I did set his leg... was taught by a very old farm worker here in sa years ago... that man had so much knowledge and alot of what I know now I learned from Tom...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I put my sheep on fresh spring grass I let them have baking soda free choice. For a baby like that, you might mix it with a little Karo syrup, give about a teaspoon to start with.

Zummerol

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok so it has been a week that I have had this little man... and it would appear that he was suffering from malnutrition. Momma had obviously stopped feeding him quite a while ago and the farmer had not realised this... so after much fighting I realised he would not take the bottle at all but was quite happy to eat and drink... so bought him pellets that could be fed ad lib and he has been eating merrily away... he also gets teff and oathay as well so just keeping an eye on him but he looks sprightly enough...