Back for BYH. :)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I moved here my neighbor had a goat similar looking to yours, and that is how she looked when she was ready to kid ( she had triplets) after she kidded she still had the same profile from behind, I would just give her hay and water while in the kidding pen, just in case she has some gas....
I agree with @Devonviolet, I don't feed sweet feed, or corn to mine either, they get hay, goat pellets and cut brouse.....best wishs for you and your goats :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is gassy, what about putting out baking soda for her?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is gassy, what about putting out baking soda for her?

If she is really gassy, best thing to do is take a large syringe full of vegetable oil or peanut oil and give it to her, it holds down the foamy bubbles, then you can either burp (left side) her or get her to run her a little .. to fart it out...lots of people are now saying baking soda isn't the solution, but it can be put out for free choice if the goat wants it.
We are so used to seeing a slimer profile on here that this goat looks huge, but I have seen quite a few look like this one,( they are older ladies)....I commend you for saving these goats from the sale barn, good job , but with that being said....don't expect them to have a hour glass figure because many are just who they are due to their former lack of care or genetics or multiple rapid breedings....just love them for who they are and give them the best life you can .

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she is really gassy, best thing to do is take a large syringe full of vegetable oil or peanut oil and give it to her, it holds down the foamy bubbles, then you can either burp (left side) her or get her to run her a little .. to fart it out...lots of people are now saying baking soda isn't the solution, but it can be put out for free choice if the goat wants it.
We are so used to seeing a slimer profile on here that this goat looks huge, but I have seen quite a few look like this one,( they are older ladies)....I commend you for saving these goats from the sale barn, good job , but with that being said....don't expect them to have a hour glass figure because many are just who they are due to their former lack of care or genetics or multiple rapid breedings....just love them for who they are and give them the best life you can .

After multiple kids I also lost my girlish figure. She’s my tribe.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m on a Facebook group for women in agriculture and I posted about her over there at first. They also didn’t think her to be bred.

With udder development like that - my vote is that she IS bred.

As far as that belly goes - I have seen that on a Pygmy doe quite a few years back. That doe was literally as wide as she was tall, lol, and owned by a very reputable breeder. She was healthy but older and had quite a few pregnancies in her life and always had "litters" of kids. Maybe that's what's up with your doe. :idunno

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
With udder development like that - my vote is that she IS bred.

As far as that belly goes - I have seen that on a Pygmy doe quite a few years back. That doe was literally as wide as she was tall, lol, and owned by a very reputable breeder. She was healthy but older and had quite a few pregnancies in her life and always had "litters" of kids. Maybe that's what's up with your doe. :idunno

I’m really thinking at least trips or a quad at this point. Of course I have no experience to verify this, but there is a LOT going on in that belly, and she’s having such a hard time standing up in just the past few days.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe the profile is looking so much like "saddlebags" is that she is probably 1) older and 2) low weight. She will need excellent nutrition once she kids as producing milk takes far more than growing fetus. So, I would be sure her hay was excellent...and add some alfalfa pellets to her dish.

She is miserable. :lol: If you had several inside racing around, you would be, too. If room, put a cinder block in her stall. Often standing with front legs higher helps with repositioning all that is inside -- The kids push the guts, etc. She will appreciate the lift.

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe the profile is looking so much like "saddlebags" is that she is probably 1) older and 2) low weight. She will need excellent nutrition once she kids as producing milk takes far more than growing fetus. So, I would be sure her hay was excellent...and add some alfalfa pellets to her dish.

She is miserable. :lol: If you had several inside racing around, you would be, too. If room, put a cinder block in her stall. Often standing with front legs higher helps with repositioning all that is inside -- The kids push the guts, etc. She will appreciate the lift.

I have a mentor who gave me a long list of supplements for her, which started with worming. Her coat has improved just this week so I think she’s doing better. It’s one of those “hindsight” things: I thought her rough coat was a breed thing and never considered worms. :hide

I am also working on her anemia by following this treatment plan: https://thefreerangelife.com/wp-content/uploads/Goat-Anemia-Treatment-Plan-1-1.pdf I am entering week two of “treatment” but I wasn’t able to find everything the first time around, so it will just continue.

I gave her a milk crate, but I think it’s too high. I saw a cinder block on my walk yesterday so I’ll grab it for her.