Back for BYH. :)

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As happens in farm life, I’m on the verge of losing #4. I found him weak and hunched over. I gave a shot of b, drench, cmpk, two syringes of milk, and three of Karo water. He’s absolutely limp.

And it’s hot. They’re all panting. I have them all drench and a syringe of Karo water. I need bottles and supplies to supplement them, but I need to stay near #4. He’s my son’s favorite. :(

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have done a excellent job giving Gertrude a fine home ,........and keeping her healthy to the point of being capable of delivering four kids !, I understand your desire to keep all four alive.....Hopefully you will succeed with the kids also .....wishing you the best outcome :fl.......:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Summertime babies really suffer in the heat. They are extremely prone to pneumonia - have you taken his temp? Getting him into a cooler environment and hydrated might help some. But, if his temp is really high and breathing labored - he may need antibiotics.

Last edited:

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Summertime babies really suffer in the heat. They are extremely prone to pneumonia - have you taken his temp? Getting him into a cooler environment and hydrated might help some. But, if his temp is really high and breathing labored - he may need antibiotics.

Temp was up to 103, but is now just under 101. Has been dropping for a few hours. :(

campingshaws

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Morning all. Thanks for the kind words yesterday. It was raw for a minute but then I was ok. Right before we tubed the second time I asked Sally if it was better to let him pass instead of keeping sticking him. She said to fight for him, so I did, even though he had already given up. He died warm with a full belly. Nothing much better.

The others are good. I got #1 to drink 2oz milk and he was dancing around looking for more, then ran straight to mom and nursed vigorously. #2 screamed while I dripped milk on his tongue, no sucking at all. :rolleyes: He got 1/2oz. #3 was a mix, sucked a bit and also screamed while I dripped milk on her tongue. :rolleyes: She got 1oz.

All have gained 4-5 ounces since birth. Gertrude is very attentive and wakes them up to eat, and makes sure each one does. One side of her udder is hard and seems sore when they butt her, not sure what the issue is. It’s not hot or red. The milk looks like the milk from the other side, not pink or yellow. I have been advised this could be the beginning of mastitis.

#1 with my kid.
10AF26AE-0412-4D21-99E6-577F385ED5EE.jpeg