Back from the mill! (lots of yarn pics)

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Fiber from my spring shearing finally got back to me from the mill and I just have to share. I love the way Jacob wool looks when spun together, I just wish I had time to spin it myself!

"Slubby" yarn is my favorite type and it sells like crazy. It's so soft and fluffy!

This is from all of my ewes and most of my wethers divided into two batches based on softness.

This is Dennis, my head ram.

This is his yarn.

He produces so much wool he got a whole batch just by himself that produced 10 skeins. It's nice and soft too.

This is 90% mohair from one of my goats, Electra. It has 10% merino added for better memory.

Some of it will be sold white but a lot of it will be dyed. Dyed mohair is just so shiny and gorgeous. It's like its made of jewels.

Thanks for letting me share! :lol:

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OHHHH I LOVE it! It turned out beautiful! That slubby yarn really is something else. It looks like it's handspun, not from the mill.

You must be so excited, all of it turned out great. Which mill do you send your fiber to? I guess they do the washing for you too? How long does the whole process take? I haven't sent my stuff to a mill yet. I've just been hand washing, carding, spinning. That's why it's taken me about 6 months to make 2 skeins of yarn, lol.

:ep :clap

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
OHHHH I LOVE it! It turned out beautiful! That slubby yarn really is something else. It looks like it's handspun, not from the mill.

You must be so excited, all of it turned out great. Which mill do you send your fiber to? I guess they do the washing for you too? How long does the whole process take? I haven't sent my stuff to a mill yet. I've just been hand washing, carding, spinning. That's why it's taken me about 6 months to make 2 skeins of yarn, lol.

:ep :clap
I used Still River Mill in CT for this but I've tried lots of different places. Our fiber has a really long staple length and some mills have trouble processing it but Still River has always done a fantastic job for us. I do the shearing, skirting, and washing myself to cut down on processing costs. Times vary greatly between mills. One where we sent some mohair said it would have a year turnaround time, Still River's turn around time is about 3-4 months depending on the season.

When I shear the cormos next year their wool will need to go to a different mill that has special combs to process super fine wool, at least for the fleece I don't sell raw. Most regular mill equipment will just felt it :tongue

GoatCrazyLady said:
How awesome! Dennis is beautiful.
Thanks! He's an amazing ram and I just love him. He takes such good care of his boys and will just stand patiently in the corner loose when I shear him every year. I got a new ram this year but I'll never give up Dennis!

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
CrazyCatNChickenLady said:
WOW!! :ep I didn't even know such a thing was possible. The mohair is soooo pretty!! :drool What kind of goat is Electra? Angora? or other fiber breed?
She's a white CAGBA registered angora.

Here's a picture of her, forgive the pink cast I was playing with photoshop :p

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I never heard of a pink goat! lol :ep just kidding, she's sweet.

I see she has a blanket on. Do all of your wool sheep and goats wear blankets? She even has her name on her collar. How spoiled are they! :woot

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
could you just pile that up and let me take a nap in it?

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
I never heard of a pink goat! lol :ep just kidding, she's sweet.

I see she has a blanket on. Do all of your wool sheep and goats wear blankets? She even has her name on her collar. How spoiled are they! :woot
The cormos are blanketed year round and the goats will be when I get new goat coats. The goats' favorite food is burrs and it is ruining their fleece :barnie They're like walking velcro right now.

The Jacobs aren't coated and if the goats were just in the pasture and not clearing brush for me I wouldn't bother to coat them. Electra is just in a coat in that picture because it was cool and she just got sheared. The goats were wearing their name collars because we had a group out to visit them and people always get her and her twin sister confused.

Dido on the left, Electra on the right
cQxLdl.jpg

BrownSheep said:
could you just pile that up and let me take a nap in it?
I had just about enough for a nice bed this spring :lol:
QD9uv.jpg